Home AMX User Forum AMX On-Demand Classes & Certifications

Custom events

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could point me to a good resource to learn about these. I'm querying a touch panel with ?MAC to get a MAC address which is apparently returned as a custom event but I really have no idea what that is, and what I read in the programmer's guide didn't shed much light on it.

Thanks

Comments

• The custom_event HELP section in NetLinx Studio would be one place.
    The HELP section on LISTVIEW_ON_ROW_SELECT_EVENT shows a complete custom_event when a user presses a List View cell on a touch panel.

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177

The Custom Event is one of those names that I feel doesn't accurately describe its function but I also don't have a better name...

The basic deal with the Custom Event is that it allows for some device specific events to trigger actions in your programming.

Just as in a Data Event you have Online, Offline,String,Command, etc... the Custom Event also has specific events. But because these events vary from device to device, they user number IDs instead of human-readable names. The key is to look at the devices specific events and use its number ID instead of ONLINE or whatnot. Those number IDs mighht be something like 1101.

and like the other events, there is the dot notation that approximates object oriented event tages. (Like DATA.TEXT or whatnot)

The help menu that Ian suggests is actually pretty good.

• logantvlogantv Posts: 31
    edited October 2019

This is a question from the P2 exam, but if a Harman trainer helped steer you the right way, I guess helpful info is fair game. Especially since this is probably for someone in the future at this point.

Now that you know what to do with the info, search for ?MAC on AMX-pi2. I don't know why it's not listed in Custom_Events on the G4 and G5 touch panel pages.