Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Tips and Tricks

Best Serial/TCP/IP Terminal softwares

I just want to know which softwares are popular to be used with your laptop for Serial/TCP/IP terminal purposes. I heard of putty, tera term, Hercules. Any thing else worth mentioning or better than all.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Check out Indigo at www.shadeblue.com . You have to buy it, but it's not real expensive, and I have found it by far the best to use for my AMX projects. You can set up all your connections and there various parameters, and make custom logins for each as needed, as well as set up macros for things like checking device status, or putting your code in debug mode, etc.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Check out Indigo at www.shadeblue.com . You have to buy it, but it's not real expensive, and I have found it by far the best to use for my AMX projects. You can set up all your connections and there various parameters, and make custom logins for each as needed, as well as set up macros for things like checking device status, or putting your code in debug mode, etc.

And make custom command libraries for each device type, AMX, Cisco IOS, Unix, etc. it also allows you to define variables and use them in the library command entries.
  • GregGGregG Posts: 251
    Aside from using putty all the time now, I did use Terminals at one point http://terminals.codeplex.com/
    It's free and has some interesting features, esp. if you are frequently connecting to multiple servers at the same time.
  • tdewildtdewild Posts: 49
    I use Docklight Scripting, it can be used for RS232 and TCP/UDP connections.
    http://www.docklight.de/udp_tcp_info.htm

What I like:
    It can load/store for every device a device specific command file and log file in Hex/Ascii/Decimal/Binary.
    Also repeat command is useful for testing long cable runs when you are alone.

€ 59,- Docklight, RS232 only
    € 118,- Docklight Scripting, RS232 and TCP/UDP
  • I've found Alcorn McBride's "AMI Terminal" the easiest and most flexible of the few that I've used.
  • feddxfeddx Posts: 167
    I often use DataViewer from 3XTRON. TCP and 232 with 20 hotkeys for long strings, the ability to send scripts, and decent logging capabilities. If you're on their list it's FREE, and frankly I'm cheap.
  • Best Terminal

I've used RealTerm for years.