Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Universal Audio DSP Serial Cable

Hello,

I'm trying to tidy up the amount of cables i have to drag around to client sites in my laptop bag, by replacing my CAT Cables i use with DB9s on each end with Mic cables which are far lighter, smaller and more flexible.

As a company we deal with Clearone and Biamp DSPs. The standard cable i use to communicate to them is M to F DB9 white cable (I think it comes with must DSPs). Buzzing out this cable i have found it is straight through 1 - 9.

My question however is, ...

Does anyone know if you require all 9 cables to communicate with DSPs.

I can't find the pinout for Serial Cables for Clearones or Biamps. ( i believe Biamps are 2,3,5 but i think Clearones may be 2,3,5, 7,8)

Anyone know?

Comments

• jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    2,3,5,7,8 will cover most devices. ClearOne uses hardware handshaking by default. Devices that don't use hardware handshaking (aka RTS/CTS) can get by with 2,3,5 only. Do yourself a favor and pick up some in-line (barrel style) DB9 gender changers and a null modem adapter, and you've got a truly universal serial cable.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    jweather wrote: »
    2,3,5,7,8 will cover most devices. ClearOne uses hardware handshaking by default. Devices that don't use hardware handshaking (aka RTS/CTS) can get by with 2,3,5 only. Do yourself a favor and pick up some in-line (barrel style) DB9 gender changers and a null modem adapter, and you've got a truly universal serial cable.

Beware of using null modem adapters with 9-wire cables as they may short 1 and 6 which hoses up the AMX DB9 receive.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You could always just keep some multi conductor stranded cable in your bag and use easy adaptors.

http://www.easyadapters.com/proddetail.php?prod=FDB9-TB10&PHPSESSID=b2e6afb8ad86713f1297d6c6934d9463

Then use the pins you need and crossover when you need to.
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    I have a trusty old pre-made serial cable that I've had in my bag for about 10 years now. For some reason I just can't let it go. I always have issues with misplacing or losing my gender changers and null modem adapters while testing. Not sure why it took me so long, but I just recently thought to use the Extron cable tethers to attach them to each end of the cable. Works like a champ.

Link:
    http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=lockitadaptertether&search=tether
  • I keep a 50' or so M-F straight through DB9 cable in my bag, along with one of each gender changer, and a M-F adapter that swaps pins 2-3. Covers almost every situation I've needed, and is long enough to get to a surface to set up my computer on. If I ever lose this one/break it, I'll make my default cable female to female 2-3 swapped, as the majority of times I need a serial cable are jobs where I have to modify an existing system that someone else coded and have to use the terminal to determine the address of the master.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Old man story. My serial cable is one I soldered together back in 1990. It has always worked and has never needed repair. It's even cheap wire and a plastic hood on one end. I will be sad the day it eventually fails. I should have snuck the thing on the Voyager probe.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Old man story. My serial cable is one I soldered together back in 1990. It has always worked and has never needed repair. It's even cheap wire and a plastic hood on one end. I will be sad the day it eventually fails. I should have snuck the thing on the Voyager probe.

I used to have one like that, but it failed on me (someone tripped over it while plugged in, I think). Sadly, my soldering skills aren't what they used to be (just can't get used to the fact my eyesight isn't perfect anymore, and even with glasses it's not as sharp as it used to be), so I just went online and bought a straight through and a crossover that only used 2,3, and 5. I have a breakout box for when I need handshaking.