Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Sirius streaming device

I am looking for a hardware device that will stream Sirius Internet radio and can be integrated into AMX with either serial or IP so that I can get feedback. I need a simple solution for adding this streaming capability only to an existing system that does not have over-the-air reception. I don't want to go with a full media server like Request or Autonomics. Since this is time-critical, it would be great if I could find something that already has a module I can pop in, or at least a protocol that won't take days to implement myself.

Can anyone recommend something?

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I can recommend watching for this magical solution to arrive strapped to a unicorn.

Seriously though, what you ask for just doesn't exist. Solutions like ReQuest and Autonomic exist, and would probably not if there were something like what you describe.

I'd like to be wrong here, by the way, and would welcome better ideas that I'd use too.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Marantz used to make a network streamer, but I think you can only get it now as part of a receiver. But even the one in the receivers is terrible. Inconsistent controls, extreme lag ... not sure I would try to sell one to a customer.

Autonomic does make a smaller server, the MMS-2, but be prepared to edit the heck out of their module, it's not very well done. I know they can do better, because their Savant implementation is pretty good, but the AMX one ... well, let's just say it isn't.

John is right, there is no easy answer yet. Good market opportunity for someone.
    Marantz used to make a network streamer, but I think you can only get it now as part of a receiver. But even the one in the receivers is terrible. Inconsistent controls, extreme lag ... not sure I would try to sell one to a customer.

Autonomic does make a smaller server, the MMS-2, but be prepared to edit the heck out of their module, it's not very well done. I know they can do better, because their Savant implementation is pretty good, but the AMX one ... well, let's just say it isn't.

John is right, there is no easy answer yet. Good market opportunity for someone.
  • I'm afraid you guys are correct, I've not been able to come up with anything either for the budget I'm restricted to for this job. I have used Autonomics and had to do quite a bit of customization to get their sample module to work on a multiz-one/multi-interface system.

My latest thoughts are to put in a receiver like a Marantz that has Sirius streaming capability and just use it for the Internet radio features. We'll see how that goes since I've not had good luck with their responsiveness when using streaming sources.

Anybody used another receiver brand that has a good (non on-screen) control protocol AND an Internet Sirius radio?
    Just a heads-up, the Denon control chip is the same as the Marantz, so it's not really "different." The latest McIntosh Receiver uses a Marantz control chip too (though I doubt you'll be looking in that direction).