Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

AMINO Set Top Box

Just curious if anyone has done any integration with the AMINO IPTV set top boxes. I'm trying to dig up some information regarding the telnet console that can be added into the stb build to see if I can control these via AMX over IP.

Anyone tried anything with these?

Comments

• Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Hi Trav

Speak to the Vision2 team at AMX, they have what you need.
  • travtrav Posts: 188
    I have, this is for a V2 project. If there is anything out there that doesn't use the Javascript API that I can use that'd be great.

I haven't heard anything concrete regarding what sort of control will be availible in the next release and if it will cover what I need.

If anyone from engineering reads this can you drop me a line? The Chinese whispers takes too long :(
  • svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    There is no telnet console on the Amino boxes. You would have to buy their SDK and roll your own. The javascript API is all that they have without purchasing the SDK for $5K.
    Yeah, pretty much what I have seen. The telnet feature can be built into the firmware for diagnostics and remote config, libconfig-set and -get stuff to configure the settings on the box, but no dice in the control departement unfortunately.
    That seems a little short sighted, as AMX are reflashing these with a V2 firmware, I would have expected them to address this.

I'm specing a system right now, so I'll ask the question and let you know.
  • svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    To my knowledge, AMX isn't changing the firmware, nor are the using the SDK. The limitation is Amino's limitation, not AMX's. AMX provides a UI for the user through the internal browser. But they aren't changing how the guts of the box functions. Amino is very restrictive on what their firmware can do. AMX is stuck with the capabilities of the box like the rest of us.
    I'm guessing you've deployed the AMX solution?

I was told the STB was running custom f/w, but you're saying this is just a skin on the internal browser?

I've asked the question and will let you know the answer (the 2nd answer, the first was you can use IR!)
    You can roll your own firmware for the box, or buy the sdk from amino and happily write your own custom software to control the boxes, or interface to a control system.

I'm sitting tight for the moment, but just in case I've specified som GC boxes to sit off the LAN out port on the 130H's so in a pinch I have a local IR and a 232 at the display/STB end.
    Hey Trav

How did this pan out for you? Got to decide how we're going to play this for 50 units now and the SDK looks like the best option
  • Amino

We use the Amino's but due to security restrictions we were limited to IR. I know that keyboard commands can be used to control the Amino, arrows and numbers. Perhaps some serial to usb keyboard emulator might work. Anyhow the IR capture for this device was painful, I ended up getting an IR file from AMX for the device. It would of been helpful to know that the IR pulse was .3 and not .5.

John
  • ijedijed Posts: 28
    jgreer9514 wrote: »
    We use the Amino's but due to security restrictions we were limited to IR. I know that keyboard commands can be used to control the Amino, arrows and numbers. Perhaps some serial to usb keyboard emulator might work. Anyhow the IR capture for this device was painful, I ended up getting an IR file from AMX for the device. It would of been helpful to know that the IR pulse was .3 and not .5.

John

I'm having the same problems trying to get IR working with a 130H - could you tell me what settings you used?
    Have tried .3 pulse times, CARON, CAROFF, the ir file from AMX as well as capturing from the remote directly.

From the Amino FAQ
    Q: Can I use 3rd party devices to control Amino products?
    A: In order to control an Amino Set Top Box using a 3rd party IR device (e.g. a Slingbox) the manufacturer of that device needs to have included the library of infra-red codes that we use.
    If the codes have been included, the manufacturer will be able to advise on the necessary access (3 or 4 digit) code, also known as a brand code, for the library.
    Details about finding the brand code are here:
    http://support-beta.aminocom.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=1281&task=knowledge&questionID=766

Just wondering if theres something else I need to do to get this working.
    All I’m trying to achieve is control of channel up and down

Cheers