Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

IR Input on Master

Greetings...

My rep mentioned recently that he thought you could do IR In on standard NetLinx processor (not 700/900). IO Port possibly??

Any other ideas on getting IR in to a processor from a Universal Remote. Looks like the only thing I can find that hasn't been discontinued is the EXB-MP1.

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    No chance directly connecting to an existing 2100/3100/4100 port for IR IN.

Current choices include a MET6N keypad (best price option for anything new from AMX). Our dealers use them in banks at the rack, fed by Xantech or other brand repeaters with concealed in-room pickups, or in some cases via a multi-control HDMI end-box-to-switcher repeater (Atlona and others).

You could slave a 700 or 900 just to get an input, but that's costly.

Obsolete choices include many things you can find on eBay, AXB-TCR, AXB-TM5, -TMC, -TM, plus wall units and the old tan swivel box units (which we have about 100 of, new in box, waiting maybe for you- email me).
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    Thanks John...I certainly couldn't see this working directly on a processor.

<Oh how I wish we had better remote control options>
  • IR Input on Master

Rather than IR, I use an AXR-RF to connect a MX900 to my AMX system. To save time and available channel numbers in the AMX program, I have it alongside a URC MRF base for IR control of some source devices. Just be sure to get the correct model -418 or -433 for the model URC or RTI you are using. This also eliminates the need to point the remote at a target or fuss with piggybacking a decent looking IR receiver onto the hideous AMX offerings.

Prior to this, I used a broken MET-6N as an IR receiver, which I probably still have laying around if you're interested.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    I thought about the RF option but have 20+ remotes I have to do on this job. I've used these with R2's in the past, don't I need 1 per remote? Not sure this is doable with URC with this number of remotes....I could be wrong though. All info is greatly appreciate!!!
  • Is this a Total Control system? If so, just use 232.

If this isn't a Total Control system, and you haven't yet sold the remotes, it would be a thing to consider. The remotes connect over Wi-Fi, so as long as the network is good you don't need to add and antennas or anything, just the URC processor that will talk to the AMX system.