Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

MXA-MPL preview

Anybody used an MXA-MPL for preview yet? I don't care about switching/scanning, I'm just trying to get an HDMI preview stream onto the touchpanel. The example code is a disaster.

Comments

• jweather wrote: »
    Anybody used an MXA-MPL for preview yet? I don't care about switching/scanning, I'm just trying to get an HDMI preview stream onto the touchpanel. The example code is a disaster.

I am using 3 of them on a project. You don't really have to do much of anything if you just want a single stream on the panel. The below is all im doing following routing a video source to it. Be aware that these units are very VERY picky as to what resolutions and refresh rates they will accept. I ended up using a scaler prior to feeding the DVI port on the MXA-MPL.
    // start streaming video to panels
    send_command dvTPA, "'^SLT-1,videomode=hdmi,1280x720p@30'"

To be honest, I don't even think you need the above, it will just stream what you put into it assuming the resolution is good.

In the TP4 file, just make sure under "states" That the Video Fill option is set to MXA-MPL. and The touch panel itself sees the breakout box.
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    So you don't have to manually start the stream? That's helpful, thanks.
  • jweather wrote: »
    So you don't have to manually start the stream? That's helpful, thanks.

No manual starting of the stream. Definitely make sure to update the firmware, what came on mine from the factory was apparently totally difference then what was available and it makes most of the commands obsolete; as in the ones to "-START" ..AMX told me those weren't needed any longer. By accessing the page/popup or subpage showing the video fill screen, it will start the stream; there is about 1-3 second delay. If you have it as a subpage and are swiping it, it will pause the stream and whatever the last buffered image was, is what you will be moving around, and upon the window settling again (if it is the main focus) it will start streaming again within that 1-3 seconds. If it is swiped off and is no longer the main focus, it will continue to show that last frame.
    And it really was that easy. That example code/"module" had me all worried for nothing. No special code needed, just tell the TP it has a "breakout box" in Setup under Connections. Thanks again!
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Yep, they are super simple for just handling streaming. The only thing to be careful of is that any resolution / format info you set is not persistent. Just remember to place this in the online event for your panel all will be good.

They're actually quite a nice device to work with. When you button is visible the streaming will happen, when it is not on screen it stops. To clear out the cached video image have a look at the ^DVS command that was added in recent firmware:
    ^DVS-<addr range>,<state range>
    Delete Video Snapshot. Deletes any stored video snapshot associated with
    the button(s) with the given address(es) and state(s). When sent, the
    affected button(s) will display a black screen in the video button until the
    button becomes active and video starts again.
    Also, if you are wanting to utilize the multi preview functionality you don't necessarily have to bind yourself to the supplied open source module.

The device has 16 internal image capture slots. When you request a refresh of any of these (by refreshing an associated dynamic image) this captures a frame from the incoming stream at that point in time. The module handles synchronization of switching and this capture, but that is only one way to use it. If you are doing any work with content queueing and have a discreet play head position control you can start to do funky things like queue a source and show a number of frames / time increments either side of this to enable users precise control prior to going live with a source. I'm sure there's plenty of other funky uses too.
    Worked out of the box at 1024x768. Getting a 16x9 stream was a little more difficult, especially since the specs and manual claim that 720p isn't supported -- it does work, and 720x480p60 doesn't, for some reason.

SEND_COMMAND dvTP, '^SLT-1,videomode=hdmi,1280x720p@30'

http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=1007 was the tech note I've been missing for the last week, apparently. Pity it's not linked from the product page.