Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

AMX new MAster Controllers

AMX is due for a new line of Master Controllers. It looks like they are phasing out the card based hardware (NXF, NXF-MINI and NXI). They have already discontinued the IR and Serial cards, what makes the NI-4100 almost obsolete. Hopefully, the new masters will have USB, faster processors, more memory and better expansion...

Comments

• chillchill Posts: 186
    Looks like the relay card is also discontinued, and all the other kinds of cards are on the way out (limited availability). I have not heard a single peep about new controllers; has anyone?
  • champchamp Posts: 261
    Infocomm, Cedia and ISE are the places new products are mentioned and if you look at the time frame from a product being announced at a trade show > to being available > to being readily available > to having the first few firmware updates, there seems to be a good year and a half there so I've given up speculating on what could happen even further down the line.

ISE just went by and nothing was mentioned.

That being said I still recommend throwing your 2 cents in for features required so that there is more chance they will be considered when the product is developed. I once created a thread on this at: Next generation master controllers feature requests
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    champ wrote: »
    Infocomm, Cedia and ISE are the places new products are mentioned ...

Last time I went to Infocomm, there was an Extron booth. Evidently my employer no longer sees value in sending programmers to trade shows; they're pretty much for salesmen and managers these days. You know: those who don't know which booths to visit or what questions to ask.

Thanks for the link; I'll have a look and throw in my 5 yen.
  • champchamp Posts: 261
    True about that, programmers in the AV industry appear to be seen as a necessary evil that should not be allowed to set eyes on a new product before it is installed on site.
    These days the internet makes it easy to keep up to date without going to the shows, just look at the manufacturers web sites the day that the shows open and you'll see all the products they are announcing.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    champ wrote: »
    True about that, programmers in the AV industry appear to be seen as a necessary evil that should not be allowed to set eyes on a new product before it is installed on site.
    These days the internet makes it easy to keep up to date without going to the shows, just look at the manufacturers web sites the day that the shows open and you'll see all the products they are announcing.

Well, for all the times I've been sent to a show or "training" seminar and spent half the time listening to some rah-rah explanation why a product was better than anyone else's, I can kind of understand that attitude. In fact, I was just at one the other day, and couldn't resist a comment on the exit survey along the lines of "Too much time was spend telling me how wonderful our product was." It irritates the heck out of me, especially when the travel made it a 12 hour day and I just wanted to get out of there. I think the amount of actually useful stuff I learned could have been put in a two hour webinar. Yet, it was required to maintain our dealership and I was the only one free that day.
  • I believe the discontinuation of the card based devices is not an indication of new master controllers but due to their being replaced by their new line of ICSLan Device Control Boxes (the "EXB" devices). The EXB's provide the same expandability of a card frame while giving you the option of placing the box right next to the device you need to control instead of having to worry about serial or IR cable limit issues. You could almost start with an NI-900 and just expand as your customer needs.
  • What are your thoughts on the NX series controllers?

Sent from my IQ446 Magic using Tapatalk