Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Accessing a locked down TP

I picked up a new TP on ebay and it was quite locked down (almost entirely password protected and I didn't know the password). Fortunately it did allow you to set the IP and master address and I was able to do what I needed to do via that.

But it got me thinking, what if I couldn't even do that. Is there a back door? Or is the only option pulling the CF card and using a working card to reset everything.

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    jabramson wrote: »
    But it got me thinking, what if I couldn't even do that. Is there a back door? Or is the only option pulling the CF card and using a working card to reset everything.
    No back door and change of CFcard will resolve nothing as it is stored in internal flash of panel ! Return to AMX to unlock :(
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Try contacting the seller and if they can't provide the password then return unless it was previously disclosed that the panel was locked down. The cost to send to AMX for repair will probably be greater than the cost to buy it.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    vincen wrote: »
    No back door and change of CFcard will resolve nothing as it is stored in internal flash of panel ! Return to AMX to unlock :(

Are you sure?

I have a CF image for the 8400i which has a protected setup password (aaaa) different to the field version (bbbb) that changes the protected setup password back to (aaaa) when the CF image is overwritten on the field panels.

Same with all of the other settings (IP, Master, Wireless etc)..

But that is just the 8400i I haven't bothered to try with other panels.
  • JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    Have you tried the reset panel password command?
    SEND_COMMAND dvTP, '@RPP'

Should reset panel password to 1988.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Is it true that there's no way to handle this without sending it back in?

Seems that AMX support helped with this very question within the past couple years. Suggest that you, or your dealer, contact them.
  • Can you telnet to the panel? If so, force a page flip to the password page. It worked in the version I tested with (I was surprised you could force a flip to this normally protected page). Changing the password did not require knowledge of the previous password (again surprised). This type of access could be broken in newer firmware, but the NX-series of panels I tested with, it worked.

This assumes you have telnet access to the panel, VNC or physical access to the panel, and know the page/pop-up name and that can be found in TP Design with Show System Pages.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    jabramson wrote: »
    I picked up a new TP on ebay and it was quite locked down (almost entirely password protected and I didn't know the password). Fortunately it did allow you to set the IP and master address and I was able to do what I needed to do via that.

Check out this post:

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?684-Protected-Setup-Problem&p=3691#post3691
  • jabramsonjabramson Posts: 106
    Thanks everyone for the replies. The particular panel I had I was able to get in to as the IP address & Master address information was changeable from the "user" side of the panel. At that point I page flipped to the protected area and did a factory reset.

It was that if I couldn't change the IP (or connection settings) what would my options be. If the IP was static and not listed anywhere on the screen, then what? That would be a lot of guessing to get the right subnet to do a scan..