Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

NetLinx turn on password by itself

I have installed an old NetLinx system with NXC-ME260 for a few years. My client use the web interface to control lights and thermostats. About a week ago, the web interface start asking for user name and password. I use two other computers and end up with the same. I tried Telnet and serial port via Studio, same prompt for user name and password. The program seems to be running, other touch panels are working. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• travtrav Posts: 188
    network security.

My suggestion would be to check if it is open to the internet, if it is, and wasn't password protected, I can think of a reason as to why it might be now.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    trav wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to check if it is open to the internet, if it is, and wasn't password protected, I can think of a reason as to why it might be now.

Yes, I have had that happen to a processor as well, because I had the telnet port open to the world. They also changed my 1319 port, which was my first clue the system got "hacked."
  • Thanks, hope AMX has a back door way to fix it, e.g. via RS232 port.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Nothing they can do without sending it to them, if security is turned on for that port too. You can find out with TERMINAL in NetLinx Studio and I think a NULL MODEM serial cable.

From another thread:
    You can try connecting to the NI via the 232 programming port.
    The command 'resetadminpassword' will reset the password to log into the web interface if the firmware is new enough (note that you can upgrade firmware WITHOUT a password if ICSP security is not on...). From the web interface you can disable security, change the password, or create a new user and new password that has ICSP permissions.
    If you return it to AMX, they wipe the memory and start over. $150, the minimum fee. For that they also supposedly replace the dubious capacitors in the Serial section to prevent their eventual failure...

Although one of the many we've sent back for that Cap service just failed AGAIN in 1 week of service after unwrapping it after repair... less than 3 months since the repair... serial faded away AGAIN. Hope this one is a fluke.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    trav wrote: »

Trav, please don't tell me that you spend your spare time on Shodan tracking down open NI and password protecting them for people...
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    Check this [thread=8177]thread[/thread].
    It should solve your problem.
  • mushmush Posts: 287
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Trav, please don't tell me that you spend your spare time on Shodan tracking down open NI and password protecting them for people...

Would that be part of the 'Launch Unicorn' command?