Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

BACNET - HVAC Control Interface

Has anyone had the occasion to interface a AMX system to a Bacnet HVAC or lighting system? I've got a client that is requesting this. Bacnet is apparently as standardized control interface for HVAC and lighting systems. I've been researching this online but was curious if anyone had tried to do this before.

If anyone has any knowledge of this interface and the process of tieing a control system to it, please e-mail me offline. Or if you know that it's not possible, I'd like to know that as well.

Thanks.

Sheldon Samuels
e-mail: sheldon at ipsresources dot com

Comments

• matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    I'm also curious about this...there is a wealth of information out there regarding BACNet, but I really haven't had the time to dig into it yet. That said, it would be great if anyone with info could post here with it in addition to emailing Sheldon.
  • NMarkRobertsNMarkRoberts Posts: 455
    I had reason to investigate BACNET a little while ago and was very relieved when the client decided he didn't want to do that after all. My impression was that it is VERY heavy going and you would want to pick up a working module rather than code your own.
  • BACne is a protocol which is used to transport information of different subsystems (like EIB/KNX, DALI, LON, etc.) in a own standard between subsystems or to a central. Or maybe in some simpler words: it is primarily a backbone protocol.

What I know is that the protocol itself is open documented, but the data overhead of the BACnet protocol is too large and the load is too high to program a module in NetLinx directly, if you have to manage a whole building. So some kind of gateway is required, wich will filter the essential data from the backbone. Maybe it can be done if it is just one unit on the BACnet.

We did some research some time ago, but stopped it as we found that a gateway is required. Our "workaround" at the moment is to work wither in the subsystems if possible, or to use an OPC module we did, because in most BACnet applications, an OPC server is also available.
  • matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    I know for me, the reason that I looked into it was to control lighting over LON, which is still something that I'm going to have to do in the not too distant future. With regard to this, has anyone successfully controlled a LON network, either with a LON to 232 gateway or some other method?
  • matt95gsr wrote:
    I know for me, the reason that I looked into it was to control lighting over LON, which is still something that I'm going to have to do in the not too distant future. With regard to this, has anyone successfully controlled a LON network, either with a LON to 232 gateway or some other method?

We have a LON gateway solution for AMX.
    Here's the datasheet: http://infosys.comm-tec.de/englisch/files/db_files/produkte/hersteller/amx/db_datenblatt/amx_ctg-lon-nx_db01_e.pdf
    For more technical information please send me a private message.
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    When I looked into it, I found the same thing that the best way to do it was to perhaps use a gateway, in particular the FieldServer stuff. It's an extra layer that needs to get programmed as you have to say match the points in Bacnet to the points on the Fieldserver and then match the points on the Fieldserver to your code. There are people out there even that will program the Fieldserver to send out what ever protocol you want, I think I was planning to use Modbus and use the module that was written for that.
  • yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    We have a Johnson Metasys HVAC system need to be controlled by the BACnet, is there anyone who have any idea how it works?
  • We just completed a very large project integtrating with the J.C. MetaSys. It was complicated and the actual programming depends on how the HVAC system is programmed.

AMX wrote a comm module for us, and then I did up a UI for our specific applications. By the end of it I knew way more about the MetaSys than I ever wanted to....

I suggest talking to David Harrison in Dallas.

Jeff
  • BACNET Suggestion

Find out if your HVAC contractor can provide a BACNET to Modbus interface. The Modbus protocol is much easier to manage. This is my personal opinion based on a number of HVAC projects that I programmed a few years ago.
  • yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    what do I need to connect Johnson Cotrol N2 system to AMX controller? Thanks for help.
  • RusRus Posts: 3
    BACnet netlinx module.

We have a BACnet netlinx module currently modified to talk to Daikin AC. Please refer to http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=3767 Thread for details.
  • BACnet Module(s)

I wrote a NetLinx BACnet Interface five years ago and it has been successfully used by a number of projects since then. It operates as a BACnet Client and can read and write to points (single or multiple per command), Create and Read/Write Schedules, Subscribe to ChangeOfValue Notification with the APIs currently provided. The API set also includes all the lower level calls required to create almost any command you can think of. The module does not support send/receive of segmented packets, but so far there hasn't been any need to. The connection to the BACnet devices is made using UDP/IP and can communicate with MS/TP devices connected across multiple BACnet routers. The default module configuration can communicate with up to 125 devices. ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2001 was adhered to in the development of the modules. If you are interested, I can be contacted at: LCubed@snet.net
  • LCubed is the way to go!

We have used Larry's modules on 3 projects now and the biggest difficulty for us is getting the HVAC company to understand what information we need from them. i.e. device instance numbers and what not. Also the first moment something does not work they want to point the finger at the AMX control system. So far every problem we have ran into has been a setup issue in the HVAC contractors equipment.

We have successfully interfaced to an Alerton BTI100 and two Tridium JACE controllers using Larry's modules.

Dan
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    B_Clements wrote: »
    Find out if your HVAC contractor can provide a BACNET to Modbus interface. The Modbus protocol is much easier to manage. This is my personal opinion based on a number of HVAC projects that I programmed a few years ago.

I have also used this method successfully.
  • sthul337sthul337 Posts: 2
    BACnet Module

I'm working on a project where I need to control 3 Air Handler Units by setting set-points and reading space sensor values. I was wondering if anyone had any Modules written or information regarding talking to a BACnet Gateway such as a FieldServer Device.

Thanks,
    Shawn
  • BACnet/IP Module
    I wrote a NetLinx BACnet Interface five years ago and it has been successfully used by a number of projects since then. It operates as a BACnet Client and can read and write to points (single or multiple per command), Create and Read/Write Schedules, Subscribe to ChangeOfValue Notification with the APIs currently provided. The API set also includes all the lower level calls required to create almost any command you can think of. The module does not support send/receive of segmented packets, but so far there hasn't been any need to. The connection to the BACnet devices is made using UDP/IP and can communicate with MS/TP devices connected across multiple BACnet routers. The default module configuration can communicate with up to 125 devices. ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2001 was adhered to in the development of the modules. If you are interested, I can be contacted at: LCubed@snet.net

LCubed,

I have a project currently using MODBUS, but BMS being swapped out. Builder can provide MODBUS interface, but, would prefer BACnet/IP.

Is it possible to obtain a copy of your module? If so what would the cost be?

Richard
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I am working on a BACNet project now. I bought an IntesisBox. Project is far from complete. Looks good so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    LCubed,

I have a project currently using MODBUS, but BMS being swapped out. Builder can provide MODBUS interface, but, would prefer BACnet/IP.

Is it possible to obtain a copy of your module? If so what would the cost be?

Richard
    I believe Larry sold the rights to that module to another dealer prior to going to work for AMX.
  • Thanks vining. Client had offered to provide MODBUS interface which I have written a module for. Will have to look at BACnet another day.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Update: I finally started the system using the Intesis BacNet gateway. It worked perfectly with the Mitsubishi City Multi system. No issues and the manufacturer was very helpful.
  • KrondorKrondor Posts: 14
    CoolMaster Net

for integration of HVAC brands such as DFaikin, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Panasonic, LG etc' . you can also look at CoolMaster. It has already a built in driver in MAX database and doen't required any additional interfaces on the HVAC side...