Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

VPT-CP RS-232 Connect

I have never connected to a VPT-CP touch panel before and have hit a wall. I am not able to connect to the panel. I have the FG10-817 programming cable that I have to use a gender changer on to connect to my laptop and verified the baud rate at 38400. The battery is charged. I am using TPDesign 3.16 and my TP is v5.10a. When I try to upload from the panel I get the serializer has timed out pop up. When I try to download to the panel I get a panel information retrieval error. Any clues as to why I am unable to communicate with this thing?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You might try swapping the TX and RX. It sounds like your serial connection isn't correct. I suspect the gender bender has you on the wrong pins.
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    I concur. The reason the cable doesn't plug directly into your laptop is because you need to use a null modem cable to connect.

I suppose it makes sense as you need a null modem to connect to controllers, IR learner, etc, but why they couldn't have changed the gender and pin-out on the non-attached cable itself it perplexing. I can see the design meeting where where 'male programming port required' was added and the designers just met the requirement.

Kevin D.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    shr00m-dew wrote: »
    I concur. The reason the cable doesn't plug directly into your laptop is because you need to use a null modem cable to connect.

I suppose it makes sense as you need a null modem to connect to controllers, IR learner, etc, but why they couldn't have changed the gender and pin-out on the non-attached cable itself it perplexing. I can see the design meeting where where 'male programming port required' was added and the designers just met the requirement.

Kevin D.

I think it's simpler than that. Axcents used to come with a null RS-232 cable for programming. They just made the cable for the VP plug into that so you could just unplug from the master and into the VP.