Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NX Processors & USB Command Line

nickmnickm Posts: 152
Since there will no longer be a serial port for direct terminal communications on the NX processors, will there be a separate utility for command line communications to the master?

There are times I prefer using the command line as opposed to the various tools in Netlix Studio.

Comments

• PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I'll go out on a limb here and assume the USB ports are likely just an internal usb -> serial adapter, the same way as nearly every other manufacturer.

Failing that, anything wrong with SSH?
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    Nothing wrong with Telnet/SSH. Sometimes its just easier to connect via serial as opposed to IP. However, with the ICSLan ports and DHCP server built-in to the bigger masters, it will be less cumbersome.
  • JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    In all of AMX's hardware to date, their USB implementation has used IP over USB as opposed to serial. This may change with the new processors. Has anyone received one yet?
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    These are the drivers for the NI-3101-Sig. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    I am assuming the NX USB ports will be fairly similar.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    the8thst wrote: »
    These are the drivers for the NI-3101-Sig. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    I am assuming the NX USB ports will be fairly similar.
    The DGX frames use that same driver family for their master USB port, but as the DGX and NI3101-sig were designed at a different time to the NX you may find that the NX uses a different chipset.

I did notice in the installer for Netlinx Studio 4 a USB driver was included somewhere (I don't have my laptop right now so can't confirm where!) so getting that software is probably all you need.
  • HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Posts: 597
    It is a USB to serial driver and we have a guide floating around for win8 users who experience driver issues. I know my dell (win8.1) needed the extra manual configuration steps before I could connect to a NX at InfoComm. It is a Microsoft driver that oddly win8 has an issue with the driver's signature - we are investigating a resolution that would eliminate the need for manual install steps in win8.

Having used the USB connection, I think it is great! It is just a faster way to walk up to an unknown box and get connected. Being on the front, there is no digging around in the rack to find the DB9 programming port. The connection is quite fast, and NS4 has a quick tab in the connection dialog properties for finding the USB connected NX Controller.

If you have 6 minutes to spare, check out the video we made on the things you can do with the USB ports on a NX master:
    Given that it uses the FTDI chipset and driver; I wonder if it will work out-of-the-box with the AirConsole (http://get-console.com/airconsole). This little device has proven to be extremely handy in commissioning systems. It works by creating it's own wireless network, and has a USB port for a USB-232 adapter. Compatible adapters include those using the FTDI chipset. If my theory is correct, I should be able to simply connect straight from the AirConsole USB port to the USB program port of the new masters.

Can't wait to get my hands on one to try it.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    AMX_Chris wrote: »
    It is a USB to serial driver and we have a guide floating around for win8 users who experience driver issues. I know my dell (win8.1) needed the extra manual configuration steps before I could connect to a NX at InfoComm. It is a Microsoft driver that oddly win8 has an issue with the driver's signature - we are investigating a resolution that would eliminate the need for manual install steps in win8.
    Any chance of making that guide available, I've just had my laptop upgraded here (and it's preloaded with 8.1) and would like to find the info sooner rather than later.
  • The USB Driver install guide for Win8 can be found here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\AMX Control Disc\NetLinx Studio 4\USBGadgetDriver

The documentation is included in the Studio 4 install file.
  • nickm wrote: »
    Given that it uses the FTDI chipset and driver; I wonder if it will work out-of-the-box with the AirConsole (http://get-console.com/airconsole). This little device has proven to be extremely handy in commissioning systems. It works by creating it's own wireless network, and has a USB port for a USB-232 adapter. Compatible adapters include those using the FTDI chipset. If my theory is correct, I should be able to simply connect straight from the AirConsole USB port to the USB program port of the new masters.

Can't wait to get my hands on one to try it.

I have tried the NX series with Air Console and can confirm that it does work perfectly!
    Awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on an NX.
  • In addition; I've tried Air Console with NIx100, NX3200, DGX8/16/32/64 and NI3101-SIG and they all work.

For Mikrotik users- you can use Mikrotik USB equipped routers with the Air Console USB adapter (or any FTDI based device. i.e DGX, etc...) directly.
  • Tworhythms wrote: »
    In addition; I've tried Air Console with NIx100, NX3200, DGX8/16/32/64 and NI3101-SIG and they all work.

For Mikrotik users- you can use Mikrotik USB equipped routers with the Air Console USB adapter (or any FTDI based device. i.e DGX, etc...) directly.

I've tried an NX-1200 with my Airconsole, but I can't get it to work. Airconsole works on just about every other industrial control device that I have tried it on. The NX-1200 doesn't appear to be an FTDI chipset. When I plug the NX-1200 into my laptop it installs some stupid ELMO GMAS driver.