Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

LG LN5400

Just curious if anyone has had any issues controlling this model via RS-232? We are looking at putting several in a board room for a school district. I know with some flat panels we have run in to issues where when you turn them off you can't turn them back on via RS-232 because of the darn energy smart settings, and I was just looking to make sure no one has run in to problems with this model.

Or if you have a different 47" flat panel you would recommend feel free to throw out suggestions.

Thanks and happy Monday everyone.

Comments

• The issue I have encountered with recent LG models pertains to an inability to use RS232 Power ON following a complete power loss to the display. In these cases, IR control is the only thing that will wake the display. If the displays I encountered were controlled via RS232, it allowed RS232 to power back on -- provided there was no complete power loss to the display. The environment was a motor yacht, and they frequently encounter power loss when transitioning from ship to shore power. We tried UPS units at the display, but at times, the duration of the power outage would outlive the battery capacity and the crew would need to pull out an IR remote to regain control.

Over the last 6 months, at least 8 displays (of 3 different model numbers) were replaced with new models. Given that we found this occurring in all models, we switched over to IR control for this environment because of this device limitation.
  • tweekendtweekend Posts: 15
    Thank you for the feedback Chris. These will be in our school and should be always plugged in, so we shouldn't have that issue (fingers crossed). Have you had any other brands you prefer to work with and have had great success with?
  • As a manufacturer, we generally do not endorse specific 3rd party models -- we are asked all the time, and because we do not control their firmware development or production, we are not at liberty to provide an official endorsement. Manufacturer partners in the inConcert program agree to work with AMX to develop device control modules for their products, but do not agree to specific practices for things like power saving modes that break 232 control. In the scheme of things, those using IR control far outweigh the 232 control community in terms of revenue to the vendor globally -- so we have a small voice in terms of moving the needle for device control firmware changes or hardware redesigns.

With all of that said... there are forum visitors who have field experiences they can share with you as individuals who purchased and integrated third party product.
  • GregGGregG Posts: 251
    Many modern flat panel models have an energy saver mode control command (or menu option):
    LG's:
    Energy Saving (Command: j q)
    Transmission [j][q][ ][Set ID][ ][Data][Cr]
    Data Values:
                "00" -- turn energy saving off
                "01" -- min
                "02" -- middle
                "03" -- max
                "04" -- auto (not supported on every screen)
                "05" -- turn off screen

It is definitely bad if they are not saving this parameter setting in NV memory.

I'm pretty sure the Sharp TVs save the energy settings when you use their "RSPW" command to enable RS232 power control. I've never had someone need to set it a second time on the same TV. I also add that command into our control module so it always gets sent right before the power off command (just in case).

The Panasonic TVs I've seen don't seem to have the energy saver serial issues.
    New NEC pro monitor type displays (like the 4020 and similar) are good, but they have an auto-off that might need disabling.
    And the Sony pro monitors with IDTalk Ethernet work fine for power on also.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    I don't know if they offer 47" or not, but the Sharp Aquos that we have been seeing lately work pretty well. The reply strings are a little terse, but they do respond well and properly. There is a parameter which must be initiated ('RSPW', I think), check the documentation.

I was checking out a 60" sharp on Amazon, and best I can tell, even the consumer model Aquos has RS232 -- be sure to check the docs.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Most all of the Samsung models with an ExLink port will turn on reliably from serial commands.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Personally, I do not see any great advantage in using RS-232 over IR for a device like a TV. Not that it doesn't exist, but it's not great. I would just use IR on a fussy device. That said, I have been seeing more IP control, and it does seem to be getting more reliable, so I've been using that when I can.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    The only reliable IP I have been using is Sharp. What other brands are people having success with?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've been doing well with Elite (used to be Pioneer, I think they are owned by Sharp now, but they don't put tath on the sets).
  • NZRobNZRob Posts: 70
    I have seen a few brands

Sharp: IP and RS232 on most - be aware that the RW.. command is not a supported command and only works on some models - they all seem to have the magic menu that that you can set it on - this command also effects what IR commands works when off

Panasonic: My preferred brand - always worked if has port (RS232 or IP)

LG: a bit iffy sometimes

I serial them all as it gives me control and feedback for power/source/volume and if its actually connected and listening. Not a fan of stab an IR command and hope the IR bud is connected to something.