Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Very Long Delay using iPad TPC Control

Here is the issue:
We are using 4 ipad Airs with the AMX TPC control app. The delay is between 7-10 seconds from when a button is pressed and the action is done. My initial thoughts are this is related to a network setup? We are using a decent Netgear router with static IP's. We have an AMX touch panel installed and hardwired in the rack on the same router, that works perfect. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    danlee20 wrote: »
    Here is the issue:
    We are using 4 ipad Airs with the AMX TPC control app. The delay is between 7-10 seconds from when a button is pressed and the action is done. My initial thoughts are this is related to a network setup? We are using a decent Netgear router with static IP's. We have an AMX touch panel installed and hardwired in the rack on the same router, that works perfect. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

ooff. Sussing out network troubles can be a bear. I would recommend very careful systematic troubleshooting.

First thing is to determine the nature of the wireless connection to the iPad. Is it slow for other network related issues? You could also get any number of apps that will allow you to ping from the iPad to the Nettlinx controller and figure out just what's going on. Do not forget to look at the analog side of digital wifi. Are there other WAPs interfering with the one you're connected to? Are there any WAPs within range on the same channel? If so , that could certainly slow things down quiet a bit while still looking like connections are normal. Hopefully, you are not using wireless repeaters or extenders.

if the WiFi looks good then check the switch. Do you have any loops by accident. (Port of a switch plugged right back into a port on the switch) I've seen this a lot when you find networks with sub-switches located elsewhere on the property. they inadvertently create a loop by plugging in a feed from the main switch into a port on the remote switch and then running another feed to another port on the sub.

If everything checks out there I'd get wire shark involved.

I have seen some pokiness on some TPControl apps but nothing even close to that.
  • CedricCedric Posts: 32
    I would try also what eric had told
    but one question the wifi router is inside the rack ? if so make some test with it outside.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Actually, the FIRST thing to answer is whether the delay is in the iPad or in the connection or in the NetLinx.

1. Does the ipad button "react" to being touched immediately, or is the "beep" feedback delayed for the duration, then when it is seen/heard, the command goes through? If so, the problem is at the panel and IS NOT a WIFI issue. Until the button reacts, it has nothing to say to the NetLinx.

2. Look at events in NetLinx Studio. When do you see the push arrive? Does the delay occur before you see it in STUDIO, or after. If AFTER, it is a processing delay in your program.

These are not cures, but it's nice to eliminate major suspects before deeper troubleshooting.
  • nicolaunicolau Posts: 40
    Just a thought: If the iPad is using static IP address I would recommend checking if the gateway is configured correctly and if it really exists on the network. I've had problems before with iPad connections using static IP if the gateway didn't exist on the network.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's really important to find out what is causing the delay. I have had delays from bad WiFi signals that the iPad showed as full strength. The signal meter is not enough. Sometimes just turning the WiFi on and off will fix flaky connections, but it points to an underlying network issue ... you shouldn't have to. I have had other cases with exactly the same symptoms that turned out to be the device I was controlling dropping its connection (it was an IP device) and bogging down the processor. So assume nothing and systematically go through everything to find where the issue is. But my bet is *something* in your system is frequently falling off line and coming back. NetLinx processors simply do not handle that kind of thing gracefully. Check your device notifications, and watch them carefully while pushing those buttons, you are likely to get a clue from them that will help pinpoint it.
  • Also seeing this, found solution

I have used TPControl on iPads on several projects in the past and have noticed a little lagginess, but nothing that interferes with operations.

However, I am currently on a new installation that was showing the exact same symptoms that are described in this thread. Through troubleshooting I was able to rule out networking or WiFi issues as potential causes, so I was at a loss.

Fortunately I noticed that an update was issued in the App Store a few days ago. This seems to have resolved the extreme lagginess for me and replaced it with the normal lagginess. Actually, it even seems a little snappier than I remember it.

I hope this helps.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Considering that the last release of TPC was many months ago, it seems unlikely that a new release now would correct a very recent issue. The new release for iThings is release dated just two days ago. The previous one was in use in all installations world wide for at least the last 6 months. A lag issue would likely have affected everyone. There has to be some other variable.