Home AMX User Forum Duet/Cafe Duet
Options

Duet debugging

I thought I read a reference somewhere in the Cafe Duet documentation on setting up remote debugging between Eclipse and the Netlinx master, but now I can't find it. Is this a real thing that works, or should I stick to System.out.println() style debugging?

Comments

• Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    mstocum wrote: »
    I thought I read a reference somewhere in the Cafe Duet documentation on setting up remote debugging between Eclipse and the Netlinx master, but now I can't find it. Is this a real thing that works, or should I stick to System.out.println() style debugging?

There is a way to debug duet (breakpoints) using version 3 firmware, it is integrated into Cafe Duet. I have been told by a good source "Mitch" that debugging does not work in version 4 firmware. I used log(DEBUG,"Some Debug Message") exclusively.
  • Options
    mstocummstocum Posts: 120
    AMXJeff wrote: »
    I have been told by a good source "Mitch" that debugging does not work in version 4 firmware.

I did finally find the reference to remote debugging (hint: search for "remote debug" in the Cafe Duet help), but wasn't able to get it to work with the version 4 firmware. It almost makes me want to dust off my old NI-3000 test controller. I've heard hints that we might get a new version of Cafe Duet someday, but not to hold my breath on it being any time soon.

With that said, I did finally finish my first Duet real module (for an nLight nIO X lighting interface). Wow does it make a lot of things so much simpler, at least once you get past the relatively light documentation.
  • Options
    JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    Haven't tried it with 4.x.x firmware, but I was writing a module with multiple threads and it was very useful to see when threads were created and destroyed. Wouldn't worry to much about 4 firmware though since from what I understand all the masters that run it will be end of life in December. There are so many bugs in that Java implementation I will not be sad to see it go!
  • Options
    debugging is alive is NX masters!

its just not there in NI masters with 4.x due to memory limitations
    (and I couldn't get it to work anyway, so assuming true)

but NX masters are long dream come true
  • Options
    GregGGregG Posts: 251
    Good to hear, now all I need is an updated java sdk level (and maybe the AMX equivalent to the android NDK).

PS - 7 years for post #1, you have much more self control than I do... :-)