Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Suggestions for future revisions of Studio

167891012»

Comments

• JeffJeff Posts: 374
    On Project Export, can we get "Include Include Files that are not part of the workspace" just like we already have "include module files that are not part of the workspace"?

I've lost track of the number of times I forgot to add an include file to the workspace, exported, sent the file to someone, and then they couldn't compile.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Jeff wrote: »
    On Project Export, can we get "Include Include Files that are not part of the workspace" just like we already have "include module files that are not part of the workspace"?

I've lost track of the number of times I forgot to add an include file to the workspace, exported, sent the file to someone, and then they couldn't compile.

I think if you'd add this feature you'd need to guide NS during the process so it would know which directory to land the wayward files. But, This would be a nice feature!
    nickm wrote: »
    Very much THIS ^^^^^^

Being able to set custom folds would be a huge productivity boost.

You can't really do Custom Folds, but you can fake it with multiple Define sections. My code usually has several define_constant, several define_variable, several define_start, and several define_event sections, each with comments after them. I added a keyboard shortcut to "Collapse All Fold Levels", and it shrinks everything down so I can see all of my define sections, you can still see the comments after them, and you can expand the section you care about.
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I think if you'd add this feature you'd need to guide NS during the process so it would know which directory to land the wayward files. But, This would be a nice feature!

How is it any different the the modules? I have all of my modules in the default modules directory and all of my includes in the default includes directory. When I export a project without loading the modules into the workspace, it finds them and extracts just fine, why wouldn't it be able to do the same thing with includes?

I suppose if you have a bunch of includes with the same name that are all different files that are in different folders that you're calling it could be a problem. Is that how other people set things up? Or am I missing something obvious?
  • jneffjneff Posts: 25
    Program send lists.

Make it easier to create/add/edit program lists to multiple controllers. We have 70 systems with common code and 5 different complied hardware versions. The latest version of Netlinx Studio does not work with the previous versions of lists. I have to build a new list.
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    There used to be a function in the old Axcess days where you could push a physical button and you could hit CTL F (from memory) in the editor to jump to that routine in your code.

It would be very handy to be able to jump to the routine like this, and I'd buy someone a rum for implementing it.

Maybe you could click the little push status window with the button press in it at the bottom of studio? Maybe click an entry in the 'button history' and it could jump?

If it is there, I'll just smile 'n' wave at the comments I get, coz I just can't see it anywhere!

(Oh, and if it is related to >>Edit>>Push Messages>Find Push, that is cumbersome to use, and does not work at all for me - it never finds anything)
  • How about Goto Function or SubRoutine:
  • I've tried searching first but didn't have any luck. I would love to disable the new WAIT folding. I like to fold the events so I don' t have to scroll so much, but the WAIT not folding inside the events is driving me insane. Maybe at least fix it so that the WAIT will disappear into the EVENT: fold, like the behavior of PUSH: or HOLD:?

Addendum: Plus when you do collapse a WAIT, it collapses all the way to the next WAIT, hiding any EVENT between the two. It seems like the hierarchy of fold levels is just reversed?
    I agree completely. I use code folding constantly and the inability to fold waits is a pain in the ass
  • logantv wrote: »
    I've tried searching first but didn't have any luck. I would love to disable the new WAIT folding. I like to fold the events so I don' t have to scroll so much, but the WAIT not folding inside the events is driving me insane. Maybe at least fix it so that the WAIT will disappear into the EVENT: fold, like the behavior of PUSH: or HOLD:?

Addendum: Plus when you do collapse a WAIT, it collapses all the way to the next WAIT, hiding any EVENT between the two. It seems like the hierarchy of fold levels is just reversed?

I totally agree. The current method is uncomfortable.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    cuky1971 wrote: »

I totally agree. The current method is uncomfortable.
    I believe the next release of NS will have this fixed. (crosses fingers)
  • Anyone find that the current version of Netlinx Studio is really slow to load?
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Which OS are you on?
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    Anyone find that the current version of Netlinx Studio is really slow to load?

It's slow for me, but that's because the laptop I have now is a real bottom-feeder. At $OLD_JOB it was lickety-split because they gave us laptops that could handle the bloatware from Crestr0n. If a laptop is reasonably usable for Those Other Guys, it will be blazing fast for us. In my experience.
  • I'd love to see a full IDE version of Netlinx that incorporates other applications, such as TPDesign.
    So, on your TPDesign panel, you double click on a button and it takes you to the code and creates, if necessary, the BUTTON_EVENT with the necessary PUSH, RELEASE and HOLD entries (but blank, of course).
    Or is it that I've spent the past 25 years getting used to Delphi?....

• sentry07sentry07 Posts: 77

Given info from various Harman employees that Netlinx is not the future of AMX programming, I doubt we'll ever get to see anything like that. I've tried really hard to make the best experience for programming Netlinx though, with the VSCode extension I wrote. It has code snippets for most code blocks, from basic IF statements, to BUTTON_EVENTs and DATA_EVENTs, all on top of the tons of awesome editing features of the IDE itself. If you haven't already, grab VSCode and search for Netlinx in their Extension browser.

• @geraldholdsworth said:
    I'd love to see a full IDE version of Netlinx that incorporates other applications

So like a suite of products ala Office 365 or Adobe Creative Cloud? Interesting. I think you may be on to something here. Stay tuned.

• @HARMAN_Chris said:

@geraldholdsworth said:
    I'd love to see a full IDE version of Netlinx that incorporates other applications

So like a suite of products ala Office 365 or Adobe Creative Cloud? Interesting. I think you may be on to something here. Stay tuned.

Really? DesignSuite 2.0?

• mGaughanmGaughan Posts: 10

When troubleshooting using the Control a Device it would be nice to have a list of device names from the code to pick from in addition to being able to manually enter D:P:S.

• logantvlogantv Posts: 31

Drag and drop files from Windows explorer to project folders

• SCamphaugSCamphaug Posts: 23

@trav said:
    UltraEdit FTW

PS cough Command Line Compiler cough
    plz k thx bai

I have a powershell script that will create a build config file and run that compiler if that helps? I probably know where you're going with this but before you get too excited.. FTCon (file transfer 2 command line) is outdated and refuses to upload G5 or "Other" files. Came here to cry about that one and found your post lol.