Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Tips and Tricks

Assigning IP to numerous Devices

Hello,

This is general AV question and not solely AMX.

We've a large deployment project coming up requiring a vast amount of IP configuration of devices being controlled by AMX NIs.

I would like to assign these IP Address as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Does anyone utilize a bit of software to do this?

Alternatively i was thinking of having a lookup table of serial numbers or MAC addresses and trying to assign Static IPs by having the NI do the work.

Appreciate your feedback,
Anthony

Comments

• PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    What you are looking for here is DHCP address reservation. This basically binds a MAC address to a specific IP address allocated by your DHCP server. Completely vendor agnostic. The setup process will depend on your DHCP server however is pretty straight forward across the board.
  • DHCP Server

If you don't have ready access to one, this one has served me well over the past year or so. Easily configurable via a text file, and only runs on a static interface, so you can connect to a wireless network with your interface set to DHCP for and the hard-wired interface set to static and connected to your network. Hope it helps.
  • If you're looking for just a means of tracking and monitoring your ip addresses, there are many tools out there, but I personally use solarwinds ip tracker, there is a free version, but it will help you out in dealing with all ip schemes and projects
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    NetLinx DHCP

I supposed you could write a DHCP server on the master.

Protocol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
    Wireshark Example: http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=dhcp.pcap

It's really not that difficult of a protocol to implement - could be fun to do.
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    PhreaK wrote: »
    What you are looking for here is DHCP address reservation. This basically binds a MAC address to a specific IP address allocated by your DHCP server. Completely vendor agnostic. The setup process will depend on your DHCP server however is pretty straight forward across the board.

I wouldn't do this. First, you'll have to touch every piece in order to get its MAC address, so you might as well set an IP while you're in there. Second, if anything fails and has to be swapped out, the new piece will have a different MAC address and so the reservation will break.
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    If you don't have ready access to one, this one has served me well over the past year or so. Easily configurable via a text file, and only runs on a static interface, so you can connect to a wireless network with your interface set to DHCP for and the hard-wired interface set to static and connected to your network. Hope it helps.

Also see isc-dhcpd at http://www.isc.org/downloads/dhcp/. I've been using this for 10 years or more; it works well and doesn't break.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Here is another software DHCP server that I have used. Simple and lite.
    http://tftpd32.jounin.net/
  • Kenny wrote: »
    Here is another software DHCP server that I have used. Simple and lite.
    http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

+1 and they have a 64 bit version now which I have no trouble running on my Win8.1 laptop.
  • Ant wrote: »
    I would like to assign these IP Address as quickly and efficiently as possible. Does anyone utilize a bit of software to do this?

Yes, definitely. There are several ways this can be done:

1) Script it.

I did this to batch-configure a pile of Enova and EXB units.
    https://github.com/amclain/icslan-config

2) Use an off the shelf DHCP server.

Many here have already recommended this. One of the overlooked options was dhcp3-server for Linux. This solution is free as well as robust, and depending on the job you may even be able to install it on the client's VM host instead of running dedicated hardware.

3) Buy a consumer wi-fi router.

These are cheap (around $50), have a DHCP server built in, and typically you can disable (or at least hide) the wi-fi.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I was looking at doing the scripting thing. I was wanting to set the IP, Device, and Master Connection in a bunch of Dxlink TX/RXs.
    Was looking at doing it via Python or something similar. Could even be setup to auto increment the IP and Device number.
    Creating this should be easy for this group of characters on the forum. :)
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    chill wrote: »
    I wouldn't do this. First, you'll have to touch every piece in order to get its MAC address, so you might as well set an IP while you're in there. Second, if anything fails and has to be swapped out, the new piece will have a different MAC address and so the reservation will break.

I would do this exactly for this reason, it depends on your client of course. In corporate networks or university's it's generally the only option. If we're the ones doing the network (something that happens more and more) it's a very nice way to control your network and what is in it. We make sure we can remotely change settings like this so we can just send a technician. It really helps when you can control an entire netwerk from a single point instead of doing it with static IPs.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I also prefer to leave devices set to dhcp and simply bind them to a static address in my router or switch. Then I have in my router or switch a static bind table with everything in my network listed. I can vpn in and view the list to see where things are in order to remotely direct connect and change their address if need be. If a piece of equipment breaks I just need the mac of the replacement device and remotely update my bind table. Then anyone can change that device. This does create more network chatter though but you could increase your lease time on the bound addresses and if the dhcp server fails so will your system.
  • travistravis Posts: 180
    Kenny wrote: »
    I was looking at doing the scripting thing. I was wanting to set the IP, Device, and Master Connection in a bunch of Dxlink TX/RXs.
    Was looking at doing it via Python or something similar. Could even be setup to auto increment the IP and Device number.
    Creating this should be easy for this group of characters on the forum. :)

I've been wanting to try to set up Ansible to do it. Should at least work on the newer stuff that has ssh...
    No time