Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

MAX-CSE Host Name

Inherited a MAX-CSE encoder on a project which I am trying to clean up. Currently running the latest firmware v1.20.26. Reset the device to factory defaults which reset all of the IP parameters except hostname. Connected to the web interface of the device via its DHCP address and then proceeded to set the IP configuration of the device. The web interface does NOT allow the hostname to be set (field is grayed out). Since a factory default reset did not erase the old hostname and the web interface does not allow a new one to be set, anyone know how to change the hostname of this device using this version of the firmware? There are no device SEND commands to set any of the IP parameters and telnet to the device brings up a VxWorks login/password screen. Ideas anyone?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Boy oh boy. That's an old box...

My memory may not serve me well, but I believe that the thing was designed to lookup the host name from the DHCP server and was not something you set up yourself. That may not be right but I seem to remember something to that effect as I used to just set up DCHP on the switch for the Max devices and just do reserved DHCP with all that stuff anyway. It just solved so many headaches overall.

So, if you notice the device has picked up whatever host name from the server that may be what's going on.
    Now as I go back and look at some notes I see that it may have to do with DHCP vs. manual config. As I was typing the previous note, not being able to set the Host Name manually bothered me. According to the documentation you can change the host name but it has to be in Static mode to do so. Otherwise, it will pull a host name from the DHCP server.
  • MAX-CSE Host Name

Eric - thanks for your thoughts. You are correct - it is an OLD box. I seem to inherit all of the old stuff these days!

The device has a strange host name as if it was explicitly set by someone at some point. In looking at the manuals online, the web interface in the documentation does not match the current UI so I think the final firmware release for the device changed the UI and may have disabled the ability to set (or override) the host name. Previous versions of the UI shown in the documentation are different and clearly show the host name field being editable. The host name field is in the current web UI for the IP settings for the device but is grayed out and can not be changed even when using Static IP mode.

May have to punt on this one and just keep the odd host name. If I can get my hands on the next to last firmware release and roll back the device, I might be able to set the host name and then restore back to the latest firmware release.
    Due to the age of the box and whatnot it might be a good idea to contact AMX support and ask specifically for Wiley. (I think he still works there...) He was the AMX MAX guy. he know the box better than anyone. He's also really good with UNIX. he might be able to talk you down.
  • MAX-CSE Host Name

Thanks Eric.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Due to the age of the box and whatnot it might be a good idea to contact AMX support and ask specifically for Wiley. (I think he still works there...) He was the AMX MAX guy. he know the box better than anyone. He's also really good with UNIX. he might be able to talk you down.

I talked to Wiley recently with an R4 issue, so he was still there a few months ago. But he is definitely your guy for Max stuff. I spent many, many hours on the phone with him with Max stuff.