Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Comcast box suddenly stops controlling...

I am controlling a Motorola Comcast STB with AMX, and after working for a number of days, all of a sudden, in the middle of scrolling through a menu, control stops. I checked the program, the IR file, the AMX emitter (I can see it flash with my cell phone), emitter placement, ran the IR on a different master, etc, and nothing worked. What's weird is the Comcast remote still works, so the STB still seems to be controllable over IR, but not through the AMX system. Even recopying the remote's IR using IRIS and reloading it doesn't work. Perplexing. In what case would the STB work with the manufacturers remote but not the same codes with an AMX IR emitter? I tried various timings with IREdit, and I can't even get the STB IR LED to flash that it received a command. Makes me think the STB is faulty, but since the remote still works, I can't be sure.
Paul

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    That is strange.
    Do you have another cable box to test with?
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ericmedley wrote: »
    That is strange.
    Do you have another cable box to test with?

No, this is my home box. I might have to trade it in for another and see what happens. I just can't really think of a reason that the remote would work, but the same code through an AMX emitter doesn't, so I didn't want to jump to the conclusion that it was the box.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Captured IR codes are not always exactly the same as what comes out of the remote. The timing is also faster, as the controller can spit them out faster than you can press buttons. That makes the remote a bit more robust in it's ability to control the device. A common issue I have seen is the box lags, and misses commands that are sent too quickly.

So, the first thing I do with a set-top box that is acting funny is a full power cycle (not a warm boot, unplug it, let the filters drain, and plug it back in). Some brand boxes need this so frequently, my company is in the habit of providing a user-accessible switch to power them down ... and if the budget allows, I put an IP controllable power outlet of some sort on them so I can do it remotely or from code. Those boxes are as cheap as they know how to make them. If they need to be rebooted like that more than once a month, I get the provider to replace them. Less than that, I consider "normal."
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Captured IR codes are not always exactly the same as what comes out of the remote. The timing is also faster, as the controller can spit them out faster than you can press buttons. That makes the remote a bit more robust in it's ability to control the device. A common issue I have seen is the box lags, and misses commands that are sent too quickly.

So, the first thing I do with a set-top box that is acting funny is a full power cycle (not a warm boot, unplug it, let the filters drain, and plug it back in). Some brand boxes need this so frequently, my company is in the habit of providing a user-accessible switch to power them down ... and if the budget allows, I put an IP controllable power outlet of some sort on them so I can do it remotely or from code. Those boxes are as cheap as they know how to make them. If they need to be rebooted like that more than once a month, I get the provider to replace them. Less than that, I consider "normal."

Did that, and still no joy. I can't even get the STB LED to flash like an IR command was sent, even though the AMX emitter is flashing. I can't understand why in the middle of controlling the box, it would stop controlling, yet the remote works, and so far nothing I've done has made the slightest difference. Very puzzling, unless the box suddenly broke.
    Paul
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Does the STB/ remote have an RF option? Maybe somehow things got switched from IR to RF...
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Does the STB/ remote have an RF option? Maybe somehow things got switched from IR to RF...

No RF option. Simple IR. I think I'll switch the box out and see what happens. Weirdest things I've seen yet with IR. I can't think what else it could be at this point.
    Paul
  • Does this happen when pushing the same button or is it completely random? If it is happening with the same button everytime it could be likely the IR Code is wrong.

Are you using the AMX IR Files or have you learnt the remote with an IR Learner? It looks fairly standard across motorola STB that the cursor functions for example all fall between 44-48.
    jeremyw24 wrote: »
    Does this happen when pushing the same button or is it completely random? If it is happening with the same button everytime it could be likely the IR Code is wrong.

Are you using the AMX IR Files or have you learnt the remote with an IR Learner? It looks fairly standard across motorola STB that the cursor functions for example all fall between 44-48.

Same Motorola IR file I've used for years, and it worked just fine on my box for several days before it suddenly stopped while I was pressing buttons changing from one fav to another. Now no button works, or even makes the box's IR LED blink, but I get the AMX LED light up and can see the flash of the IR emitter with my camera phone. I even recaptured some codes off the remote, but it made no difference. Tried a different emitter, different controller, etc...nothing. It has to be the STB, although I can't really see how.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Did you try a different IR port? One might have flaked out on you. It's exceedingly rare, but I've seen it once or twice.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Did you try a different IR port? One might have flaked out on you. It's exceedingly rare, but I've seen it once or twice.

Yes I've tried all the obvious things. Even tried an NI 3100 and an NX 2200, various ports. Nothing. This is why I am thinking it has to be some bug in the box, but how it can tell the difference between the remote and the AMX emitter is beyond me, since it responds as normal to the former, but not at all to the latter.
    Paul
  • I know you tried a different controller and saw the emitter flash with your phone, but did you try another emitter? That seems like the last thing to try.
    I know you tried a different controller and saw the emitter flash with your phone, but did you try another emitter? That seems like the last thing to try.

4 different AMX IR emitters, 2 that are brand new out of the box. They work, I've tried them on other IR devices.
    Paul
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I'm waiting for the AHA moment.
    Hope it comes.
  • Have you tried Dish or Directv? Sorry.. Couldn't resist. Hope a new box gets it solved.

Kevin D.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Another reason to not watch tv.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    How did the story end? What did you do to get things working?