Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Insteon Hexadecimal string to AMX

Hi, I am a bit new to AMX programming and am trying to put a system together with multiple control types.
I am stuck on setting up my lighting control. I am using RS232 control of Insteon lighting. I have their developers kit to explain the communication protocol. I have initialized the correct port with baud rate etc.
In sending the command string, I get no results. The string is hexadecimal, (02 62 11 11 11 05 11 FF).
When sending this string through Docklight Scripting software, the light responds correctly.
I have had success with serial control of other devices with a literal string. I am not sure what I am missing, if I have to separate the bits or something. The controller is flashing the TX light when the GUI button is activated but the light does not respond. Does AMX require something done when hexadecimal is being sent?

Comments

• Are you doing the following:

Send_String dvInsteon, "$02, $62, $11, $11, $11, $05, $11, $FF";
  • Are you doing the following:

Send_String dvInsteon, "$02, $62, $11, $11, $11, $05, $11, $FF";

Hey Jim, thanks for the input. Yes I am sending the string as you noted. I have checked and confirmed the cable to be correct (with only required pins) I monitored the string output in " Notifications". I did notice that the second pair ($62) becomes a 'b' when sent from the AMX while all others retain their states as entered.
  • 'b' is simply a printable HEX character.

So, you are able to control the Lighting with other software from your laptop?

Are you sure the NI-XXX RS232 port works?
    Can you connect an RS232 cable with pins 2 & 3 tied together and verify that you can see the strings on Rx & Tx?

If the cable works and the pinout is correct I usually fall back on the port is faulty.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Note that this same discussion is occurring in two places due to duplicate thread postings.
  • John Nagy wrote: »
    Note that this same discussion is occurring in two places due to duplicate thread postings.

Oh, I see you found my original post, that I did not know how to delete. Thank you for pointing out your discovery and thank you everybody else for your sincere attempts at helping me out.