Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Newhank BDP-432

I have a Newhank BDP-432 Blu-Ray player that I am trying to control Via RS232, I have a list of commands which is as follows:

PWR_ON: 'ID50'
PWR_OFF: 'ID49'
PLAY: 'ID33'
STOP: 'ID34'
PAUSE: 'ID33'
FFWD: 'ID38'
REW: 'ID37'
SFWD: 'ID40'
SREV: 'ID39'
MENU_FUNC: 'ID23'
MENU_UP: 'ID26'
MENU_DN: 'ID27'
MENU_LT: 'ID28'
MENU_RT: 'ID29'
MENU_SELECT 'ID30'
MENU_FUNCTION: 'ID24'
MENU_RETURN: 'ID31'

I have two issues. Firstly, this list is clearly incomplete as there are a lot more functions available on the remote control than what is listed here. Secondly, the PWR_ON command which is actually the EJECT or OPEN_DRAWER command, does not turn the unit on, infact none of these commands turn the unit on. Hence, once I turn it off with the PWR_OFF command, I can not turn it back on again. This presents a major problem.

If there is anyone out there who is able to either expand on my function list above or at least tell me the command to turn the unit back on again (without having to revert to IR control), it would be HUGELY appreciated. :)

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Gosh,
    Since the commands are just ID and some number, I'd just sit there with terminal and start guessing numbers. I'm sure you can eventually guess.
  • Haha, yeah I tried that, but its very hit and miss and time consuming, I was kinda hoping someone else may have already done the leg work ;)
  • DavidRDavidR Posts: 62
    interested in this product myself so I googled the model and found the manual. the rs232 protocol is on the last page. the power command looks like a toggle. or if its a discrete off then maybe the play command can be used as ON.

http://www.newhank.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/BDP-432-manual-with-RS232.pdf
  • cmatkincmatkin Posts: 86
    Hi guys,
    We have just finished using these on a project.
    The API works as documented.

We have had a few that take a while to power on, or eject. These were returned and the new ones worked.
    The rs232 is only really one way with no feedback except for a CR (don't quote me).
    Ended up using video sense on an Extron switcher to determine if it's on or off.

Good luck.
  • gregrgregr Posts: 54
    What is this thing?

Really intrigued to see this product. I just told a customer that no commercial Blu-Ray players are available with component outputs!

What happens with these outputs when a protected disc is played? Manual makes no mention of HDCP.
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    gregr wrote: »
    What happens with these outputs when a protected disc is played? Manual makes no mention of HDCP.

Likely limited to 480p output.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The power on issue *might* be a power savings setting. Several manufacturers turn off the serial port when the power is off in power savings mode. See if you can turn that off and if the power command works after that.
  • cmasoncmason Posts: 123
    NeedToKnow wrote: »
    I have a Newhank BDP-432 Blu-Ray player that I am trying to control Via RS232, I have a list of commands which is as follows:

PWR_ON: 'ID50'
    PWR_OFF: 'ID49'
    PLAY: 'ID33'
    STOP: 'ID34'
    PAUSE: 'ID33'
    FFWD: 'ID38'
    REW: 'ID37'
    SFWD: 'ID40'
    SREV: 'ID39'
    MENU_FUNC: 'ID23'
    MENU_UP: 'ID26'
    MENU_DN: 'ID27'
    MENU_LT: 'ID28'
    MENU_RT: 'ID29'
    MENU_SELECT 'ID30'
    MENU_FUNCTION: 'ID24'
    MENU_RETURN: 'ID31'

I have two issues. Firstly, this list is clearly incomplete as there are a lot more functions available on the remote control than what is listed here. Secondly, the PWR_ON command which is actually the EJECT or OPEN_DRAWER command, does not turn the unit on, infact none of these commands turn the unit on. Hence, once I turn it off with the PWR_OFF command, I can not turn it back on again. This presents a major problem.

If there is anyone out there who is able to either expand on my function list above or at least tell me the command to turn the unit back on again (without having to revert to IR control), it would be HUGELY appreciated. :)

Full command set:
    http://www.newhank.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/BDP-432-manual-with-RS232.pdf (page 35)

49 is only listed as "POWER"

Got to love a rack mounted, RS-232 BluRay Player without discrete power commands.... makes me wonder what the hell the engineers were thinking...(or not thinking)