Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Lutron IP control need help

This was happening for me twice now to our customer.
First instance is that the boardroom lutron lighting has lost its communication to NI-3100. I have a message from diagnostics 0:4:1 port is offline. Second instance is the Townhall lutron lighting lost again its communication to Ni4100. I can ping the device through telnet on controller. Had anybody had experience why its lost its communication which it seems there was no changes on the network traffic.. Need help on this to trouble shoot

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Are you monitoring/managing the connection status in code? If not it would be a good idea to do so and start a reconnect routine in case you loose IP connection. It's not uncommon for things to go away for whatever reason.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    What type of lutron HomeworksInteractice, Illumination or QS or RA or RA2 or maybe Grafix Eye 5/6/7000?
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Lutron has one of the more robust IP communications I've had to deal with. But you do need to have a routine to restore communications if something causes it to drop. For example, the various flavors of Homeworks will usually drop the control connection if someone is connected to it with the programming software. I use a 30 second timer if the connection drops before trying to restore, to avoid the "socket in use" nonsense.

If you are using one of the AMX provided modules, you might want to consider ditching it. Lutron protocol is very simple, and on the QS systems, for example, all I use is a simple handler to maintain the connection. I build the actual command strings as needed and pass them on to my comm module. Same with the feedback. I had a more elaborate thing with the older Homeworks, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble ... but it still works. Bottom line is, you can probably whip something up relatively quickly and have full control of the communications rather than have to wonder what someone else did in code you can't modify.