Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

PanelBuilder Prob

So I just downloaded the new G4 PanelBuilder and its pretty slick and all...but after i save the project to a *.TP4 file....TPDesign4 wont open it!..... Found that to be kinda odd.....Just did webupdate today and everything is brand spankin new....so....whats up?

Comments

• Hi Chris,

Have you think to download the lastest version of TPD4.

AMX as release a new version or TPD4 that add the compability with Panel Builder.

Hops that can help you

Fabrice, ACE
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The new version of TPD 4 (2.3.319) doesn't seem to appear on WebUpdate, but you can download it directly from the Tech Center. I've had problems with it though - it crashes on both my XP and Win2K machines, and I had to revert to rev. 2.2.265.

On a similar note regarding WebUpdate - the G4 panel builder won't clear from the update list, it pops up as needing an update every time you run it.

I don't know if these are general issues or peculiar to my own setups, but I am getting them on both of the computers I use regularly. Both are pretty long in the tooth, and crammed for both memory and drive space though...
  • The assertion is correct that TPDesign4 2.3 is needed to open and modify TP4 projects created with G4 PanelBuilder. Some of the internals of the TP4 project format have changed to offer better file size and security, meaning that any TP4 created with TPDesign4 2.3 "technology" (i.e., by TPDesign4 itself, or by G4 PanelBuilder) will not be able to be opened in prior versions of TPDesign4.

As for the install of TPDesign4 2.3.319 crashing, here's something to try (as long as the Windows registry doesn't scare you):

- First uninstall TPDesign4
    - From regedit, remove the entire brach of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AMX Corp.\TPDesign4
    - Re-install TPDesign4 2.3.319

We have had reports of this from the field, but have yet been unable to duplicate this in-house. Either from a clean install or from an upgrade install. Any particulars you can give would certainly help (e.g., was it an upgrade, from what prior version, do you have the "Reload last workspace" preference set, etc.).

Thanks.
  • ChrisMChrisM Posts: 5
    Well what do you know that makes sense! Thanks fellas!
  • We have taken care of the WebUpdate problem with G4 PanelBuilder. There was some mis-information in the WebUpdate database that has now been cleared up.

If your WebUpdate is "stuck" saying that it has an update of G4 PanelBuilder ready to install, then do the following to reset things:

- Run WebUpdate
    - Choose 'Options'
    - Choose 'Remove Updates'
    - Close and re-start WebUpdate

All should be well.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi Rob,
    Rob writes:
    We have had reports of this from the field, but have yet been unable to duplicate this in-house. Either from a clean install or from an upgrade install. Any particulars you can give would certainly help (e.g., was it an upgrade, from what prior version, do you have the "Reload last workspace" preference set, etc.).

In case you haven?t already found the problem here is the easiest way to duplicate it. Looks like fingers are pointing at - - -> ?Reload last workspace?

1) Install TP4 2.3.319 on a clean machine.
    2) Launch TP4 2.3.319
    3) Pull up the Preferences dialog box from the Edit menu.
    4) Check ?Reload last workspace? and hit OK.
    5) File - - -> Exit

Try to launch TP4 2.3.319 again and you will get the error that I?ve attached.

To fix the problem for now I changed the value of ?Reload? from 1 to 0 under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AMX Corp.\TPDesign4\Settings\User Preferences\

I am able to duplicate this problem on both Win2K and XP. The XP machine had no previously installed AMX software at all.

I hope this helps some and if you would like any further information about my particulars please let me know.

Cheers,
    Joe
    We have a winner!

Setting Reload to 0 fixed it for me. It would seem this last release has a problem with reloading the last workspace. All I did was change that one key and the new installation would run. As an experiment, on my second machine, I opened the old version first, and used the Preferences dialog to turn off "reload worksace," and then upgarded it. That worked as well.
    Just for more data on this bug, turning on "Reload Last Workspace" in TPD 4.2.3 will break a working installation. Editing that registry key back to zero will get it running again.

Kind of a bummer, I like to have multiple panels loaded, and it's convenient to have the panels in our project all reload when you restart TPD4. I'm sure it will get patched soon though...<cough> ...hint...<cough>... :)
  • The 'Reload last workspce' preference is, as you have figure out, the culprit here. If you have this set and are stuck with TPD4 crashing on startup every time and would prefer not to wander into the registry alone, I've attached a .reg file which, when double-clicked, will take care of resetting that preference. Just be sure NOT to turn it back on again.

And, yes, this will be addressed in an upcoming patch release. Thanks for all the troubleshooting effort.