Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Control of MARANTZ DV12S2

Has anybody of you ever controlled MARANTZ DV12S2 (DVD Player) by RS232?

I wrote a code, following the RS232 command table; all the commands work properly but the POWER ON command !!!

The RS232 protocol of DV12S2 is the same of the MARANTZ DV8400 RS232 protocol, of which AMX web-site provides a Source module.
Again, the RS232 commands of this module work properly but the POWER ON command !!!

Cable pinout is: 2-3,3-2,5-5,7-7,8-8

Any suggestion?
Thank you

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    If the rest of the functions from the DV8400 module work, I would go ahead and use it, but bypass it for the power on function. If your DVD is defined as dvMarantzDVD, do a SEND_STRING dvMarantzDVD, "'<power on>'", with whatever the correct power on command is for that model. YOu might need to call Marantz on getting the proper string for that though.

All that said, I have had trouble with Marantz serial communications falling off line, and have not been able to determine the exact cause. When it happens, I have to power the Marantz down to make it talk again. Fortunately, it is relatively infrequent.
  • You might also want to check the configuration of the device itself. Some Sony AV processors have a mode that needs to be set through the front panel before it will accept an "on" command while in standby. Maybe this unit has something similar?

- Chip
  • Marantz receivers do have a setting that will enable/disable the 232 port - pretty sure that the DVD's do not. I have had enough issues with controlling Marantz DVD's through 232 that I now refuse to. Stick on an IR emitter with a VSS2 and I'm done. Most of the issues were related to ON and OFF commands, and a $200 DVD player is NOT worth the effort.
  • hi guys,

the RS232 protocol says nothing about a setting for accepting POWER ON. I will look the manual carefully

DVD Player switches off automatically when it is in STOP state.
    Browsing inside DVD menus, I didn't find a setting for avoiding that.
    That 's the reason I need to send the Power ON Command

Still looking for a solution

Again, thank you
    Fabrizio
  • JoeJoe Posts: 99
    I have also had the misfortune of having to progam RS232-controlled Marantz equipment. I have looked at the documentation and for the PMD930 (I think that's the part #), there is NO POWER ON command! I wondered if it was like most DVD players where issuing a 'Play' command would turn on the unit, but that didn't work. Now the customer, who absolutely insisted on having a 232-controlled DVD player (why????) has to turn the unit on manually.
    Also, if you look at the documentation for the Philips 175, it is the identical unit with the same problem. I don't know why these manufacturers would go through the trouble of putting a 'Karaoke' command in the unit, but no 'Power On'.
    Like icraigie mentioned above, you are better off using a VSS2 and IR control.
  • Riley

Have you tried issuing a play command as a discrete on? Works on most DVD players.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 99
    You'd think it would do that, but it didn't. My $20 DVD player at home does, though
  • AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    Has anybody of you ever controlled MARANTZ DV12S2 (DVD Player) by RS232?

I wrote a code, following the RS232 command table; all the commands work properly but the POWER ON command !!!

The RS232 protocol of DV12S2 is the same of the MARANTZ DV8400 RS232 protocol, of which AMX web-site provides a Source module.
    Again, the RS232 commands of this module work properly but the POWER ON command !!!

Any suggestion?
    Thank you

// This pinout must be wrong... if 2-3 are swapped so are 7-8
    // wrong???
    // Correct????
    Cable pinout is: 2-3,3-2,5-5,7-8,8-7
  • DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    In another Marantz devices, they say serial eco mode, change that and the power on command will work.

Give a search in the manual. If the problem persists, I can contact the Marantz Tech Support. (I work also in the Marantz National Distribuitor here in Brazil)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Diogo wrote: »
    In another Marantz devices, they say serial eco mode, change that and the power on command will work.

Give a search in the manual. If the problem persists, I can contact the Marantz Tech Support. (I work also in the Marantz National Distribuitor here in Brazil)

I was just thinking that too. ANything that says anything like "economy mode," or "power savings mode" has a good chance of shutting down the port when it's off. You know, after all, how much power those things can burn up if you leave them on! [/sarcasm].
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I was just thinking that too. ANything that says anything like "economy mode," or "power savings mode" has a good chance of shutting down the port when it's off. You know, after all, how much power those things can burn up if you leave them on! [/sarcasm].

I spoke with one of thier engineers on the phone about this. I told him that the RS232 chip/driver could literally run on a watch battery for a year and that there was no valid reason or science that shutting down the port saves any reasonable amount of energy. He made some comment about the world being run by sales weasles.
  • DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    They probably do this to win a "greenpeace seal" and use in the sales.