Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

TPDesign4 v2.3.319 crash problem

Does someone have a crash problem with TPDesign4 v2.3.319? It is crashed when I try to open the the project I was doing with the previous version of tpdesign4. Event logger gives me info on a fault in Tpdesign4.exe...

I found it might relate to mfc42.dll (have the event logged on replacement attempt with the dll during the installation). Re-installation helps only if I manually (with regedit) delete all the regkeys related to TPDesign4. However I getting crash again when I tick the option for opening last saved project in preferences.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi maxifox,

There is a problem with reloading the last workspace that AMX is aware of that was reported about half way down in this thread:

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76

To fix the problem change the value of ?Reload? from 1 to 0 under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AMX Corp.\TPDesign4\Settings\User Preferences\

You can't use the option to reload the last workspace for now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Joe
  • This is a known issue that will be resolved in the upcoming v2.3.1 release of TPDesign4; which will coincide with the release of TakeNote.

The crash occurs when you have the 'Reload last workspace' preference set. Attached is a registry file that will clear this preference if this is happening to you. You will not, though, be able to turn this preference back on. At least not until the update is released.

Our apologies for any inconvenience.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi Rob,

I noticed there is a recent tech note http://www.amx.com/techsupport/PDNTechNote.asp?id=671 which I believe is associated with this thread and the thread I referred to two posts above. The note explains one way to fix the problem, however, it doesn?t mention anything as to how to avoid future crashes (not to use reload last workspace.) Obviously the note was written without knowledge of the actual problem at the time but I thought I would pass this along to you.

Cheers,
    Joe
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Thank you, seems that is the problem (memory fault address that Joe posted is exactly which I have in my log). I will try tomorrow and inform you about the result, - I am not at workplace now...

How about this strange message about replacement attempt of mfc42.dll? It might relate to PanelBuilder or this new TPDesign4 - I was doing the installations in a row and cannot now say which one triggered the event.
  • maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Thank you, guys for the help, I have fixed it with the regitsry patch that Rob provided...

This was what I had in my event log:

Faulting application tpdesign4.exe, version 2.3.0.319, faulting module tpdesign4.exe, version 2.3.0.319, fault address 0x0000ff87.
  • For those whose workflow has been interrupted by this problem, a fix is included in TPDesign4 2.3.1, which is now available for download on AMX.com (http://www.amx.com/application-files.asp#tpd4_2). Please see the readme for additional release information.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Thanks Rob
    I tried to update the file using "web update" at first but it didn't show this release. Manual download worked fine. Should I be manually checking the Ver.# to ensure all it truely updated?
  • Originally posted by Thomas Hayes
    Thanks Rob
    I tried to update the file using "web update" at first but it didn't show this release. Manual download worked fine. Should I be manually checking the Ver.# to ensure all it truely updated?

While the installer has been posted on amx.com, it has not yet been added to the WebUpdate database. So, until it has, you are correct that you will need to hand check the version number to make sure everything updated. The new version is v2.3.1 build 353.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Hi Rob
    It and several other updates were active when I tried at last night around 21:30.