Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Sending Email from NI3100

I am wondering if anyone has sent emails from AMX controllers lately. AMX used to have i-Equipment but I think it is not longer being used. I looked at the latest programming doc - it has SMTP_SEVER_CONFIG_SET and I tried them with gmail - it does not work. I looked forums but not helping me. Thank you.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Yes, it does work but there is always a bit of labor in getting it to work. It has a lot to do with the mail server/service you are trying to send to and from. There are two basic paths to follow.

One path is using your client's email server. By doing this you avoid all the wierd port blocking that can happen on some ISPs like AT&T and Comcast. They do allow you to connect to other mail servers but you ahve to jump through a lot of hoops to get there. it can take a lot of tweaking and work to get it going. but, once it does, it works. (until your client changes ISPs)

the other is manage your own mail server. This way is more stable and manageable. But, it is more work. YOu can do things like use unusual ports, thus avoiding ISPs blocking them and so forth. Also, you can make extreme limits on who can access the server - thus eliminating spam.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I still use the !-Equipmet.. but only on my office system like eric I set up a sever on my master and have clients send data via a tcp socket and once received on my system, my master will parse and determine the proper course of action. If it's supposed to send an email it does using !-Equipment on my master using my account through my ISP so there's no ISP problems and if there is it's just my ISP/account problem.. Of course for this to work I have open up ports on my router and forward to my master but at least I'm only putting holes in my firewall not the client's.
  • kennyannkennyann Posts: 113
    Thank you guys for the info. I finally got it working on the gmail side but I had to look at the port 25 and aspmx.1.google.com for the SMTP_Address. But this only works between gmail accounts I think. Which is good enough for me. I used the !-Equipment long time ago and looked for it on AMX side and did find it anymore - did they move it.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I still use the even older email include. It still just works. But, I haven't needed to use the email feature much lately as I don't do any resi systems much anymore.
  • Hi kennyaan, I have now the same problem you were facing before, could you please share an example with me that could help me send mail to my AMX ni700
    if anyone can help, really, I will appreciate a lot. I need to send a text to my AMX controller.