Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Forum performance

Simply put, it's awful. Pages take forever to load. I was willing to give it a pass when brand-new, but the new forums have been up long enough any kinks should be out, but I spend as much time lately waiting for the page to load as I do reading and responding to posts.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    +1.

On the new post page I just want to the latest post of a thread not the others in that thread that also ma be new, If I care I'll go to the thread and read all posts I've haven't yet read.

If I'm subscribed to a thread I don't want new posts on that thread showing up as messages, messages should be messages.

I'm not fond of the OP being at the top of the page but I could adapt and tolerate it.

I think there used to be an option for post to go either newest or oldest on top. I like newest on top, unfortunately I don't know which it is cuz the site confuses me know. Of course that could be the meds I'm on too :) .

Very, very slow.................
  • Yeah, I'm not a fan either. I don't know what the new forum is trying to solve, but the new layout is not very good. The AMX - by Harman header at the top, with the post title and the footer, with all the (unnecessary) logo's at the bottom take up half the page! That's ridiculous. And it is indeed a lot slower than the old forum.

Maybe the new look is just geared towards the new AMX: simpler, easier and with the same warm, fuzzy feeling you get from RPM.. Uhmm, no wait...
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'm sorta getting used to it. The thing I miss most is the basic way "Unread Posts" worked before. It was just that. It would show links to whatever threads had new posts that "I" haven't ready. The way this forum works there can be a lot of white noise. For example if I come in and 5 people have contributed comments on Post Topic X, I see a list of 5 post topic Xs smattered in chronologically. It's much more handy to just see a list of two or three threads that have new stuff in them. I will know what the last thing I read was and can continue on from there.

I'm honestly not sure how this one is organized. It's sorta-kinda RSS-ish but not realy.

As for the pokiness - It isn't that bad for me for some reason. Thre is definitely a lag but not as much as others seem to be experiencing.

If I were a betting person, I'd guess the switchover has something to do with Harmon. I'd guess they have their own server/IT stuff going on and wanted to pull all of it into their wheelhouse and whatever flavor of forum software this is is the standard being used up the higher floors. But, that's an uneducated guess.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    ericmedley wrote: »
    The thing I miss most is the basic way "Unread Posts" worked before. It was just that. It would show links to whatever threads had new posts that "I" haven't ready.

I'ts slightly clunkier than the old interface, but it's still working for me as it used to (more or less). A couple of points:

- "New Topics" seems to show threads with unread posts as opposed to individual posts.
    - When viewing "New Topics" there's a *tiny* blue rectangle with two arrows pointing to the right in the "Last Post" column which will take you straight to the end of the thread when you click it.
  • My only complaint to this point is the speed. They must have moved the site to one of those newfangled Intel 486 servers...
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    Performance has improved since the new forums went online, but it still feels slower than the old one. Maybe it's just me.

And it "forgot" me this morning.

And it's not zoomable on my phone.
  • samdeg17samdeg17 Posts: 9
    I'm finding that keyword searches are much improved over the old forum. More relevant and numerous results.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I'm sorta getting used to it. The thing I miss most is the basic way "Unread Posts" worked before. It was just that. It would show links to whatever threads had new posts that "I" haven't ready. The way this forum works there can be a lot of white noise. For example if I come in and 5 people have contributed comments on Post Topic X, I see a list of 5 post topic Xs smattered in chronologically. It's much more handy to just see a list of two or three threads that have new stuff in them. I will know what the last thing I read was and can continue on from there.

I'm honestly not sure how this one is organized. It's sorta-kinda RSS-ish but not realy.

As for the pokiness - It isn't that bad for me for some reason. Thre is definitely a lag but not as much as others seem to be experiencing.

If I were a betting person, I'd guess the switchover has something to do with Harmon. I'd guess they have their own server/IT stuff going on and wanted to pull all of it into their wheelhouse and whatever flavor of forum software this is is the standard being used up the higher floors. But, that's an uneducated guess.

I agree. I'm simply not using the forum much anymore for the reasons you state. The last forum wasn't really broken, so I fail to see why it needed to be fixed. The slowness, along with the look and feel, and lack of "new posts" link is making the forum less and less usable. Shame, as it was a decent resource.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »

I agree. I'm simply not using the forum much anymore for the reasons you state. The last forum wasn't really broken, so I fail to see why it needed to be fixed. The slowness, along with the look and feel, and lack of "new posts" link is making the forum less and less usable. Shame, as it was a decent resource.
    Paul
    Agreed, I find this completely annoying to use and I don't enjoy popping in between tasks anymore to see what's new cuz IMHO this improvement sucks. Just another way to keep the programmer down. :)
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    [rant] All the Forum pages are slow and the platform awkward to use. It logs me out for whatever reason 50% of the time too. Not a great user experience.

Now, to add insult to injury, downloading latest tpd. Time to complete 27 minutes. It's only a 68mb file.
    Attempted to download the NX hotfix couple of weeks ago. time to complete download then - 2.5 hours. 4 or 5 attempts, same result. Some of them crapped out half way too. Ended up downloading from the AMX Aus drop box account - few minutes it was complete.
    Attempted download of itunes - 106mb - download and installed 2 minutes. Looks a lot like an issue with the AMX d/l servers.

All of the above from same internet connection on FF V40.

What on earth is going on with the downlaod servers? Why, what's up?

VERY frustrating waiting forever to update 10 processors with the hotfix in the middle of the night. [/rant]
    Well the forum is back, couldn't log in since 6 am and it's now 5 pm. I'm not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, just darkness and at this point the optimism I once had after the purchase by HK is all but faded.
    This is F'n ridiculous!
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    [rant] All the Forum pages are slow and the platform awkward to use. It logs me out for whatever reason 50% of the time too. Not a great user experience.

Now, to add insult to injury, downloading latest tpd. Time to complete 27 minutes. It's only a 68mb file.

I'm noticing that as well, and mentioned it to AMX TS. Downloads got awful slow suddenly. Hard to believe that would be tolerated at a tech company known for speed and responsiveness. I'm going to blame it on the IT weenies at Harman.
    Paul
  • DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    ...and I don't get email notifications any more for subscribed threads like this one I have now discovered....
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    ...and I don't get email notifications any more for subscribed threads like this one I have now discovered....

They must have fixed that much, because I just got here that way. Still so slow I have a hard time justifying even stopping by anymore.
    DHawthorne wrote: »

They must have fixed that much, because I just got here that way. Still so slow I have a hard time justifying even stopping by anymore.

Sometimes I can't get here at all on my iPad or phone, PC usually no problem.

Sometimes of PC the " Quote" for resonding with quote doesn't even appear.

Email notification are hit and miss just like trying to get on the forum via mobile device.
This discussion has been closed.