Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware Feature Requests

TP Control for Apple Watch

38mm version comes in at 272 pixels wide by 340 tall.
42mm version comes in at 312 by 390.
I can imagine every Apple customer will be asking about this feature soon.
Will AMX/ TP Control be the first integration company to take on this very large pie?

Comments?

Comments

• The watch could be handy for automation. Maybe in the office more than the home.

My question about the convenience though, relates to tethering. I would imagine that in a large home, an owner may leave the phone in one area and walk to another part of the house, where the watch may disconnect from the phone. This affects many things, not just automation. But I can just imagine the service calls when the system wont operate because the devices are not in range of each other. I'll be curious to see how this pans out.

I understand the watch has vibration (left and right, apparently). I'd like to make use of this for feedback, such as the doorbell (when a loud movie is playing in the cinema).

Just my 2 cents worth. I don't have a watch to try, so this is only speculation :)
  • From what I can tell, here are the known inputs:
    Heartbeat monitor
    {
    Infrared LED
    Visible light LED
    Photodiode
    }
    Accelerometer
    Gyroscope
    Microphone
    Force Touch
    Scroll wheel up/down (Digital Crown)
    Scroll wheel push
    NFC

if iPhone connected:
    Wi-Fi
    GPS

Output:
    Vibration
    Speaker

Developers have limited access to Apple Watch features and are unable to access the gyroscope, accelerometer, NFC, built-in speaker and microphone, and the Taptic Engine of the device. Developers cannot create full apps that run on the watch itself at this point in time, but that functionality may be available in the future. - MacRumors
  • Has anybody heard of a bluetooth distribution setup? Bluetooth WAPs, so you could leave your iPhone in the Kitchen, and get an Apple Watch notification at the far corners of the home.
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    Has anybody heard of a bluetooth distribution setup? Bluetooth WAPs, so you could leave your iPhone in the Kitchen, and get an Apple Watch notification at the far corners of the home.

Will soon be redundant. Android Wear and Apple Watch both have wifi components that allow the watches to connect back to their phone on the same wifi network in the event Bluetooth LE is unavailable.
  • nickm wrote: »
    Will soon be redundant. Android Wear and Apple Watch both have wifi components that allow the watches to connect back to their phone on the same wifi network in the event Bluetooth LE is unavailable.

Thanks nickm.

I looked further after you mentioned this. So it would seem to get around my concern about the bluetooth tethering being within range. That's good news and thanks for clearing that up.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    Crest*** announced Apple Watch control...lets go AMX and TPControl lets get it done too.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    troberts wrote: »
    Crest*** announced Apple Watch control...lets go AMX and TPControl lets get it done too.

C-tron is more interested in the resi market than AMX is. I can't see running a boardroom from an iWatch. Of course, I can't see running my home automation from a watch either, so maybe that opinion isn't valid. I'm far from a Luddite, but some tech I just don't see the point for.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    C-tron is more interested in the resi market than AMX is. I can't see running a boardroom from an iWatch. Of course, I can't see running my home automation from a watch either, so maybe that opinion isn't valid. I'm far from a Luddite, but some tech I just don't see the point for.

Okay, since Dave broke the curmudgeon barrier...

I have to admit that I don't get the watch thing either. I quit wearing watches a long time ago.

I know - I'm old...
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I quit wearing watches a long time ago.
    I know - I'm old...

If you were old, you'd still be wearing watches, and using pay phones.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    DHawthorne wrote: »

Who needs a point when there is money to be made!
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »

Who needs a point when there is money to be made!
    Paul

I'm afraid I need a point to make the sale in the first place. "It's cool," stop being something I could make money on some time ago.
  • trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    "Cool" is how you keep up with the times and not go belly up or get under bid by other control systems. In my opinion TPControl is cool and has kept AMX from completely exiting the resi market. If you have a client that thinks checking HVAC, lights, etc from a watch is cool...it would be a shame to say, well I can't to that with AMX but here is the name of a company that deals in Cre*****, they can do it.
    You are clearly dealing with a different class of client than I am. "Cool" is not something my customers are willing to pay for,they expect that for free. A/V quality and performance they o for, but not "cool." Especially when AMX has their heads so far up their butts about pricing on TPC licenses. When the license costs nearly as much as the device, it's a very hard sell.
  • I agree about the pricing, there should be a 5x, or 10x site package as well, for a discounted price. However, this post is about an app for Apple Watch.

I see the appeal of the watch, the no-pockets pants that make you find a device, every time you want to make a change. Quick response is what this device is all about. Of course with a small display it will be limited to less real estate, causing more page flips or less content. I believe this watch will take off, and make 'watch wearing' not just for Grandpa. Too many iOS junkies wanting every link.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    One issue that I think will play an interesting role in what we all will be learning about this event in the next few years is that this is clearly the first time a technology item and a fashion item have been melded together. (at least on this massive a scale) I suppose the average lifespan of both things is pretty much the same. (12-18 months) but, it sure doesn't take billions of dollars to design a pair of jeans.

There is still a (albiet niche') market for luxury watches. when I look at the feature set of the iWatch, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. I am not the target audience for this thing, however. I'm not a good judge.

It's not the first smart watch attempt. But, it is Apple after all...

I agree about the pricing, there should be a 5x, or 10x site package as well, for a discounted price..

I keep seeing this kind of comment, but TPControl has offered an all-you-can-eat license for a while now. Guess it's easier to complain than keep up.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    John Nagy wrote: »

I keep seeing this kind of comment, but TPControl has offered an all-you-can-eat license for a while now. Guess it's easier to complain than keep up.

At the price of 3 iPad licenses even. Much better value than before. Just wish they had it sooner or that you could trade in 3 ipad licenses for a BYOD license.
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    Just wish,,, that you could trade in 3 ipad licenses for a BYOD license.

I encouraged this too but they understandably don't want to create new support for old purchases.

The sorta-work-around is to re-assign individual older licenses to new sites/customers with lesser needs (yes you can), and replace them with BYOD where its worth it.

Note that BYOD has essentially two different modes:

One, the one they talk most about, provides a touch panel project automatically to any new connecting device as well as allowing connection. The advantage is that you can allow anyone to "walk-up" and connect, and get a panel. You have to arrange connection information, but they have a way to push that via a camera scan. The down side (only if you have a mix of devices or have individualized panels) is that all panels get pushed the same ONE project. You can load another project into any pad to use instead, but not using the Cloud/Web, only TPTransfer (so you must maintain it locally). The "system" panel project can't be prevented from downloading even if the device is already licensed, and it takes precedence over a loaded specific project under some circumstances (like a netlinx reboot), leading to possible user confusion.

Two, the one I use, amounts to a site license. I don't load any project into the NetLinx, just the BYOD license. The result is that all devices that connect are enabled, and I have to use TPTransfer to load each device that isn't already individually licensed. Which I had to do anyway, as ONE project can't work well in phones and various size tablets with different aspects.

(Sorry to hijack the Apple Watch topic.)
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Two, the one I use, amounts to a site license. I don't load any project into the NetLinx, just the BYOD license. The result is that all devices that connect are enabled, and I have to use TPTransfer to load each device that isn't already individually licensed. Which I had to do anyway, as ONE project can't work well in phones and various size tablets with different aspects.

Now that is awesome. Wasn't aware this was possible.
  • Or you can use a combination of John's method... a BYOD hosted file on the NetLinx master so that any "new" device connecting does get a UI file, and if you specifically need a different UI file o the device, then use TPTransfer to load the file you want into a separate TP4 File Slot available on any TPControl device.
    If there are concerns about the real-estate available on a device (i.e. Smartphone vs Tablet), then perhaps implement a hybrid Tablet/Smartphone design to cater for those instances.
    Example here: Tablet Smartphone hybrid TP4 file
    Using a hybrid file as your hosted BYOD file can cover a majority of use-cases, and you can fall back to the separate TP4 File Slot if required.
  • nielsynielsy Posts: 32
    Is there any news about TPControl in combination with Apple Watch?
    Do TPControl working about it or is it just planned for future?
  • No news, but if something develops in that area, we'll certainly let y'all know.
  • "You should because they do", is not a strong motivator in this case.
    If something in future develops from us in this area, be pleasantly surprised. Not saying it will, and not saying it won't - it's just not on the product list right now.