Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

R4, USB Lan & WIN 10

Anybody have luck, secrets, tips or tricks.

Went to a job 2 hours away and failed to remember I haven't transferred to an R4 since updating to WIN 10 and my luck, I couldn't. Spent 1-1/2 hours on the phone with TS and they VNC'd into my PC and had no luck either. After driving 2 hours back to the shop I tried on my WIN 10 desktop and so far had noy luck with it either. TS had it working on theirs but no joy for me.

Tried w/o firewall, as admin, in xp sp2 compat mode, uninstalled, re-installed.......... and nothing, shows up in dev manager in networking but not as a network adapter with my LANs, wifi and vpns. This was supposed to be an easy, short day, 4 hours travel and 1 hour onsite.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I know this is not helping - but this issue was one of the reasons I did not update to 10. I had a list of 8 drivers I need (the USB LAN included) that I was unable to get working. I haven't done an R4 in a long long while. But, I don't want to be caught empty handed if the need would arise. I have Win 10 running on a test desktop here and to me there is no reason to upgrade on my production machines. I hate the way it looks and feels. I 'get' the whole home-user experience thing. But, the UI drives me crazy when trying to do actual work on it. All my production machines are still at Win 7 Pro. Perhaps you could make a quick VM with Win 7 to run for such emergencies. It wouldn't take up that much space and even though a VM is slow, you'd just need it for things like you describe. You could go do the thing and get out right away.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Unfortunately when I decided to take the free upgrade offer (while the free offer lasts, urgency and allure) I didn't even think of the R4. Everything else was reportedly working so I figured WTF, why not. Now again I'm saying WTF, but now it's what a dumb a$$ I ' is' cuz I fell for it and I didn't thoroughly think this through.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vining wrote: »
    Unfortunately when I decided to take the free upgrade offer (while the free offer lasts, urgency and allure) I didn't even think of the R4. Everything else was reportedly working so I figured WTF, why not. Now again I'm saying WTF, but now it's what a dumb a$$ I ' is' cuz I fell for it and I didn't thoroughly think this through.

Meh.. Microsoft has a way of doing that to a person. I've been burned so many times that I am a very late adopter when it comes to MS. However, I get suckered in on occasion which serves as a good reminder of why I'm a late adopter. Wash - Rinse - Repeat...
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I keep my old creaky laptops just for such things, including those handy actual serial ports that are so over now. One on XP, one on 7/32. My newest laptop is on 10/64. My main machine is back on 7/64 after daily crashes with 10/64. I used it long enough to not dislike it, but not actually prefer it to 7 in any important way. It's a big improvement for machines that came with 8, at least.

I found 10/64, just as 7/64, makes IREDIT crash in cut and paste operations. IREDIT seems pretty stable in 7/32, also on 8/32 and 10/32, which I have used only remotely through a dealer's PC at a customer site. Well, no more stable than it ever was but you understand.
    GregG wrote: »
    Too late......
    John Nagy wrote: »
    I keep my old creaky laptops just for such things, including those handy actual serial ports that are so over now. One on XP, one on 7/32. My newest laptop is on 10/64. My main machine is back on 7/64 after daily crashes with 10/64. I used it long enough to not dislike it, but not actually prefer it to 7 in any important way. It's a big improvement for machines that came with 8, at least.

I found 10/64, just as 7/64, makes IREDIT crash in cut and paste operations. IREDIT seems pretty stable in 7/32, also on 8/32 and 10/32, which I have used only remotely through a dealer's PC at a customer site. Well, no more stable than it ever was but you understand.
    I still have my mac laptop which runs bootcamp XP. Plain and simple, I just wasn't thinking and didn't even bother testing in the shop when I had 4 on hand, just back from repair, prior to taking the 2 hour drive. I could have just transferred the current TP file at the shop and used my smartphone to re-commission it onsite. Clearly wasn't thinking clearly.
  • OK. This is kind of strange. I loaded the driver using XP mode and set the file to run in administrator mode. This allowed it to run and load the driver successfully. When I tried to use TPDesign4 to load my file, it would see the R4 and let me try to start the transfer. It would abort with an ACK 0x0012 error trying to create directories. Here is where it gets strange. I went to Netlinx Studio 4.whatever set up the virtual master and did a firmware transfer to the R4. My first try was with the remote undocked. The firmware transfer told me it didn't have enough power. So I docked it in the charger and it worked like a champ. (I think I had the latest firmware on the remote but loaded it anyway). After that I went back into TPD4 and tried the upload again. The remote was still docked and everything worked like it should.

Then just for grins I undocked the panel and tried to download the file in TPD4. Error messages again. Docked it and tried again and it worked. Secret may be getting the driver to load successfully and having the remote docked.

This is all using Win10 64-bit with the November upgrade that go loaded yesterday.

Danny
    OK. This is kind of strange. I loaded the driver using XP mode and set the file to run in administrator mode. This allowed it to run and load the driver successfully. When I tried to use TPDesign4 to load my file, it would see the R4 and let me try to start the transfer. It would abort with an ACK 0x0012 error trying to create directories. Here is where it gets strange. I went to Netlinx Studio 4.whatever set up the virtual master and did a firmware transfer to the R4. My first try was with the remote undocked. The firmware transfer told me it didn't have enough power. So I docked it in the charger and it worked like a champ. (I think I had the latest firmware on the remote but loaded it anyway). After that I went back into TPD4 and tried the upload again. The remote was still docked and everything worked like it should.

Then just for grins I undocked the panel and tried to download the file in TPD4. Error messages again. Docked it and tried again and it worked. Secret may be getting the driver to load successfully and having the remote docked.

This is all using Win10 64-bit with the November upgrade that go loaded yesterday.

Danny
    Yeah the remote has to be docked and the dock actually plugged in to a working outlet otherwise you should get that hex error code. A fews years back that drove me nuts since I wasn't paying attention and plugged into a switched recepticle, didn't notice I wasn't getting the momentary docked pop up, tried multiple remotes from that single dock where I setup my laptop and of course the switch controlling the 1/2 switched outlet was off.

I did try XP mode as adim after an uninstall / fresh install, probably a dozen times. Jeff at TS also has it working on his machine but everything he tried remoting into mine failed. A dozen various attemps on my desktop also failed.

Another potential problem is it suppose to use 10.0.0.1 and on the job site the cable modem also used that ip and with the wifi on we were actually try to ping the usb lan but were getting the modem instead not sure what would happen if the usb lan was actually working, would there be a conflict bridging the wifi through the pc to the usb lan?
  • amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110
    Did you try it through Studio instead of TPD4? I'm running Win 10 x64 (which I love by the way). I'm not 100% sure but I am PRETTY CERTAIN that I got it working by using Netlinx Studio as a virtual master. TPD4 simply wouldn't find the remote. It did take several plugs/unplugs as it normally does but it worked as reliable as 7 from what I remember.
    amdpower wrote: »
    Did you try it through Studio instead of TPD4? I'm running Win 10 x64 (which I love by the way). I'm not 100% sure but I am PRETTY CERTAIN that I got it working by using Netlinx Studio as a virtual master. TPD4 simply wouldn't find the remote. It did take several plugs/unplugs as it normally does but it worked as reliable as 7 from what I remember.
    At some point I did but it might have been before I deleted it and re-installed in xp compatibility mode as admin. I'll give it a few more tries on both my laptop and my desktop since my old mac laptop running xp doesn't have a battery pack anymore, apparently I tossed it when chucking some even older laptops and batteries packs. ​
    I had a WIN 10 update today and for $hits and giggles I decided to try the R4 transfer again and it worked immediately in TPD4 and NS3 with one caveat, when the R4 reboots or you disconnect the USB cable after the R4 has been recognized by the PC I've been experiencing a blue screen w/ frown shut down/restart. I get the error MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS. googling that error leads you to updating drivers and/or software for the device but unfortunately the R4 driver was last updated in 07' and I'm not going to hold my breath for a new driver for the AMX_USB_LAN. Good news is I can now transfer R4 files, bad news is I have to make sure I'm ready for a harsh shutdown of my PC after each transfer.

Tip: if you experience the same blue screen shut down, disconnect the USB cable after the transfer completes before the PC restarts otherwise you'll have to go through this shutdown again when you disconnect the R4.