Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Compiling w/ Source, what's the point?

I always compile with source but when you actually need the source on the master you realize it's basically worthless since you only get the main.axs and the .axi files. I would think if you have the .axs files in the workspace, copies of those files should be held on the master and so should copies of any .tkn/.tko files, otherwise what's the point of keeping anything on the master. Especially these days after 98% of the AMX dealers have jumped ship, most with out properly handing over their system files to a replacement dealer or at least their clients.

I'm having a similar access issue with a Lutron system where I can't extract the file over IP or serial and Lutron has no back door and I don't think anyone could argue a national security issue with a lighting system. With the AMX system I can at least gain access but for what to pull the source through NS or ftp in and get the prog.tkn and prog.zip, they're useless unless you just have to change a master and never make any mods. Understandably Lutron has since scrapped login credentials for their QS systems but I think AMX should rethink what files they keep on the masters if you choose to compile with source, maybe change it to maintain workspace file copies on master. If you need security then those will be systems that can't be opened by but otherwise hand over the jobs properly when dropping AMX or changing professions.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    It's been a while since I had to grab from a master but I seem to remember that you do get all the includes. If the integrator wrote any of their own modules - you were hosed. but, if they used standard issue AMX written modules you could rebuild.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Yeah but how many systems used only AMX modules and if there are any that's likely why those dealers aren't around anymore. Are all those older NS modules still available? I was looking for an older Lutron file and couldn't find it. I was pricing a job that a dealer used AMX Home in, installed about 8 years ago and AMX told me they didn't have files for that period of AMX Home available. That dealer is gone and I can't even track down anyone related to that company.
  • NZRobNZRob Posts: 70
    save with source makes a .scr file with everything in it - save without source is just the prog.tkn file i think
    NZRob wrote: »
    save with source makes a .scr file with everything in it - save without source is just the prog.tkn file i think
    That's what one would suspect and want but alas that is not the case. If you compile with source the source which consists of just the main.axs and all .axi files are zipped, renamed prog.zip and transferred. If you compile w/o source you still have the .zip file with out the files or possibly old files from an earlier time, can't say if it's over written if you compile w/o, I would expect so but........

Your main.tko is renamed prog.tko and transferred to the master and loaded upon the reboot.

vining wrote: »
    That's what one would suspect and want but alas that is not the case. If you compile with source the source which consists of just the main.axs and all .axi files are zipped, renamed prog.zip and transferred. If you compile w/o source you still have the .zip file with out the files or possibly old files from an earlier time, can't say if it's over written if you compile w/o, I would expect so but........

Your main.tko is renamed prog.tko and transferred to the master and loaded upon the reboot.

Perhaps this would make a nice feature request. Another upload option of "Save entire System and/or Project as a 'Pack-n-go' file" I could see many exclaiming that we'd literally be giving away the farm. But, for those of us who feel the client does own all the code, it would provide a way to hand it over to them on the master. Of course, you can already do this by FTP-ing into the master and storing it there on your own.
    ericmedley wrote: »

Perhaps this would make a nice feature request. Another upload option of "Save entire System and/or Project as a 'Pack-n-go' file" I could see many exclaiming that we'd literally be giving away the farm. But, for those of us who feel the client does own all the code, it would provide a way to hand it over to them on the master.

Yeah but they'd have the option to include or not to include, to password or not to password.
    Of course, you can already do this by FTP-ing into the master and storing it there on your own.
    Such a simple concept yet so elusive to my brain. It's not even really that many extra steps but I could see myself saying, I'll do it when I'm done debugging and ready to deploy and they not doing it. :) Just like backing up files since I leave that off while working and then shut down before synching.

Yeah but they'd have the option to include or not to include, to password or not to password.

Such a simple concept yet so elusive to my brain. It's not even really that many extra steps but I could see myself saying, I'll do it when I'm done debugging and ready to deploy and they not doing it. :) Just like backing up files since I leave that off while working and then shut down before synching.

I'll admit I don't do this myself. As far as me getting hit by a bus or something and my clients being left high and dry... I create a git repo and my clients are given access to it and we use that as a base camp for the code. The nice thing about it is I can always roll them back to good code if they start messing with it. But, if I go away for some reason, they always have access to everything including graphics and any documentation. If the internet goes away, then we all have much bigger problems than "Where the heck did I put those files..."
  • For me, a server crash ended up wreaking havoc on file versions. I didn't so much completely lose files, but I lost track of which ones were really the latest "running" versions. The safest thing I could possibly do was to download clean code from the controllers to make sure I have that "running" version as current. I could, because I always include source code. Disaster / goofy situation recovery is a good enough reason for me to do it.
    For me, a server crash ended up wreaking havoc on file versions. I didn't so much completely lose files, but I lost track of which ones were really the latest "running" versions. The safest thing I could possibly do was to download clean code from the controllers to make sure I have that "running" version as current. I could, because I always include source code. Disaster / goofy situation recovery is a good enough reason for me to do it.

​Did you retrieve more than just the main.axs and all the .axi files?
  • Unfortunately I haven't had systems with other kinds of files I've needed to recover, so I don't know if other kinds of files come over. It was my impression the source includes everything in all the files defined in the system's workspace at the time.
    ​Did you retrieve more than just the main.axs and all the .axi files?