Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Accidental project upload

It was a Friday afternoon. I was at my desk. I VPN'd in to a site to grab some info off a switch. Someone interrupted me. I went back to work and uploaded to my bench system. Turns out the VPN was still on. I didn't realize I uploaded to the wrong site. I went home. The calls started coming in about 8.

Anyone have any tricks for protecting me from myself?
I think you can put a password on the master for uploading. Would it stop me, or would I be on auto-pilot and enter the password and still upload to the wrong system?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I try to put my systems on different subnets so even if the 4th octet is the same for the main master in every system the 3rd octet is different so I can't connect if only one VPN is open.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    travis wrote: »
    It was a Friday afternoon. I was at my desk. I VPN'd in to a site to grab some info off a switch. Someone interrupted me. I went back to work and uploaded to my bench system. Turns out the VPN was still on. I didn't realize I uploaded to the wrong site. I went home. The calls started coming in about 8.

Anyone have any tricks for protecting me from myself?
    I think you can put a password on the master for uploading. Would it stop me, or would I be on auto-pilot and enter the password and still upload to the wrong system?

Set an idle timeout on your VPN connection. If you step away and come back, you'll have to reconnect.
    Paul
  • travistravis Posts: 180
    That's a good idea!
    Unfortunately this specific client doesn't seem to do that. SonicWall/NetExtender. I might look in to other clients. Doesn't look like the Mac OS built-in client does either.

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    travis wrote: »
    That's a good idea!
    Unfortunately this specific client doesn't seem to do that. SonicWall/NetExtender. I might look in to other clients. Doesn't look like the Mac OS built-in client does either.

​WIN 10/8 offers it on the their clients. Network Connections > Right click on the connection > Properties > Options

I could see using that for like a 30 minute timeout for when you walk away from the PC and forget you're still connect and never come back but I think shorter timeouts could be annoying.