Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

IP of Master.

Hi, I am unable to connect to master through serial port. Any other way to get the IP of master and change the settings to DHCP. Thanks

Comments

• Which controller are you trying to connect to? Have you tried listening for master in NS4? Your PC need to be on the same IP range. Also try Zero-config. You need to have loaded bonjour on your PC before zero-config will work.
  • Which controller are you trying to connect to? Have you tried listening for master in NS4? Your PC need to be on the same IP range. Also try Zero-config. You need to have loaded bonjour on your PC before zero-config will work.

I am trying to connect to NI-4100. Have tried NS4. Same IP range? if you are talking about IP range of controller, , I don't know the IP of NI-4100. I will try zero config now
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    You can go to comm setting in NS and select "listen" as long as the BC rate of the master wasn't set to 0.
  • vining wrote: »
    You can go to comm setting in NS and select "listen" as long as the BC rate of the master wasn't set to 0.

Thanks. I have tried that but no luck. BC rate of master is set through dip switches, those are correct to default position, unless if it has been set to 0 by programming; I don't know if this is possible.

Well, I am reaching to conclusion that if I don't have the IP and I can not connect via serial then there is no way to reset the unit to default settings which are DHCP.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    BC is set via telnet by command "set udp bc rate", it replies with the current rate and you can set it from 0 to 300 seconds (default is a bit overly frantic 5 seconds). So someone may have done that and set it 0, but it's really not that likely. But if you don't wait for 5 minutes, you could miss a beacon while listening.

But people do dumb things, like turning security on for everything including the serial port and then forgetting to document the password. We recommend never turning on security for the serial port.... for resi anyway. If you are close enough to plug in a serial cable, you are probably not a hacker we need to worry about.

Or maybe the reason you can't get in via serial is the same reason you can't get in via IP... the master is simply not talking anymore.

Whether defective or just locked too tightly with ill-considered security, your choice ultimately is to toss it or send it to AMX for a reset. Even they are unlikely to be able to salvage any code in it, though.
  • John Nagy wrote: »
    BC is set via telnet by command "set udp bc rate", it replies with the current rate and you can set it from 0 to 300 seconds (default is a bit overly frantic 5 seconds). So someone may have done that and set it 0, but it's really not that likely. But if you don't wait for 5 minutes, you could miss a beacon while listening.

But people do dumb things, like turning security on for everything including the serial port and then forgetting to document the password. We recommend never turning on security for the serial port.... for resi anyway. If you are close enough to plug in a serial cable, you are probably not a hacker we need to worry about.

Or maybe the reason you can't get in via serial is the same reason you can't get in via IP... the master is simply not talking anymore.

Whether defective or just locked too tightly with ill-considered security, your choice ultimately is to toss it or send it to AMX for a reset. Even they are unlikely to be able to salvage any code in it, though.

Thanks, this is what I was concluding about this device.
  • When I can't get the serial port to respond to Netlinx, I connect with a terminal app, (AMX or Hyper term) at the default baud rate and press Enter a couple of times. Then type ? and press Enter, at which time all available commands are displayed, meaning you are in the machine successfully. (Sometimes I've used 38,400 baud I thnk).

The command you then want to use is 'set ip' which will prompt you thru the relevant settings. Then send the reboot command, then try to attach via the network.

See how that goes.
  • When I can't get the serial port to respond to Netlinx, I connect with a terminal app, (AMX or Hyper term) at the default baud rate and press Enter a couple of times. Then type ? and press Enter, at which time all available commands are displayed, meaning you are in the machine successfully. (Sometimes I've used 38,400 baud I thnk).

The command you then want to use is 'set ip' which will prompt you thru the relevant settings. Then send the reboot command, then try to attach via the network.

See how that goes.
    Thanks, I will try that.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    All of your serial ports might be blown ... the infamous capacitor issue.
  • I agree with Dave Hawthorne: Probably the C729 blown capacitor issue.

That is certainly a possibility if the processor is 5 years or so of age, or more.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    This is the first time I've seen it suggested that the "programming port" was affected by the capacitor/serial IO issue. It sound plausible, but I'm fairly sure I've used the programming port for hyperterminal more than a few times on NetLinx's with really dead serial IO ports. So I don't embrace this concept too enthusiastically.
  • Can you see the NDP beacon poll of the NI-4100 in Wireshark and thus discover the device IP? Once known, you can set your laptop on that range and then telnet in.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    John Nagy wrote: »
    This is the first time I've seen it suggested that the "programming port" was affected by the capacitor/serial IO issue. It sound plausible, but I'm fairly sure I've used the programming port for hyperterminal more than a few times on NetLinx's with really dead serial IO ports. So I don't embrace this concept too enthusiastically.

It most definitely is. They must all share some common circuitry. Controllers I've ever seen with the bad cap wouldn't work on any number of RS232 ports, including the programming port. And I might add, though that has been my own experience, it doesn't mean everyone sees the same symptoms.
  • Hi Guys,

No luck yet.

Let me explain my system:

Windows 8.1
    Netlinx Studio 4 (4.2.1435)
    Null modem cable, 2 and 3 cross, 5 ground. cable is not by AMX, Tested with IRIS, works fine.
    UNITEK, USB to serial adapter, tested with IRIS, works fine.

Something is wrong with above? as I have tried to connect to another controller but still the same.

is it c729 or c206?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    shahid wrote: »

is it c729 or c206?
  • vining wrote: »

D'oh! Sorry, I think maybe 729 may be the number of the capacitor that kept blowing up in Dell power supplies for awhile. Thanks for the correction.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    shahid wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

No luck yet.

Let me explain my system:

Windows 8.1
    Netlinx Studio 4 (4.2.1435)
    Null modem cable, 2 and 3 cross, 5 ground. cable is not by AMX, Tested with IRIS, works fine.
    UNITEK, USB to serial adapter, tested with IRIS, works fine.

Something is wrong with above? as I have tried to connect to another controller but still the same.
    Have you use this USB to serial on another processor? Just want to confirm that the adapter you have work with NI controllers.