Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Ni 3100 Master controller has no serial number, whar can i do?

Hi, i have a problem with a NI 3100 controller, it has not serial number, i search for it by netlinx with right button mouse over master and telnet, and not go well, what is happening? and what can i do, beacuse i need the serial number.

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Nothing you can do but RMA to AMX.
    We've seen this happen (all 0's) when a firmware update went wrong.
    Note that it has no impact on anything unless you have software that is licensed to the AMX serial number. Like ours.
  • RaphayoRaphayo Posts: 111
    I know some manufacturer are able to provide you the device serial number when you provide them the Mac address. Have you call AMX to know if they have that.
    Unless I misunderstand the OP, it's not that the serial number is misplaced and unknown, it is blanked out internally. You can normally see the serial number in STUDIO with a right-click>Device Properties, or from Telnet, "show system". It's coded into the ROM inside. Until something evil clears or alters it. Since software that licenses via checking the serial number finds it missing, it fails.

We just last month had a 3100 come back from AMX after a serial port repair, and the internal serial number is mysteriously now missing the first digit of the serial string. Just the one. It's gone back for more attention.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Unless I misunderstand the OP, it's not that the serial number is misplaced and unknown, it is blanked out internally. You can normally see the serial number in STUDIO with a right-click>Device Properties, or from Telnet, "show system". It's coded into the ROM inside. Until something evil clears or alters it. Since software that licenses via checking the serial number finds it missing, it fails.

We just last month had a 3100 come back from AMX after a serial port repair, and the internal serial number is mysteriously now missing the first digit of the serial string. Just the one. It's gone back for more attention.
    I had an older NI, don't recall if it was a 3000 or 3100 that lost it's serial number after a fw update. My returned string would be all 0's. Never had it repaired and it worked fine otherwise.
    vining wrote: »
    Never had it repaired and it worked fine otherwise.
    It only matters if you have software that is licensed to the serial number... like ours, like some modules.