Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Yamaha MRX7-D Protocol.

Have any of you experienced the Yamaha MRX7-D. Using it in a project and need to control it . Yamaha has inadequate documentation on how the protocol works.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Here's the link to the control protocol. As seems to be the case with most of the DSPs out there, the protocol can be a bit daunting. (I feel the Biamp is the easiest to deal with)
    http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.wsys.yamaha.com&asset_id=63959
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    Not sure whether you got this doc on hand, but it appears to have what I'd be after when integrating one:
    http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=63959

Plus there is modules on the AMX tech site for the MTX models that might be a starting point.
    (I haven't used this model of Yamaha DSP yet - we are still stuck with the DM at the moment.)

edit: SNAP! Eric got there while I was checking other sources!!!
  • Thank you for the feedback. Trying to get my head around the protocll, they did not include any example.
    Totally agree about the Tesira.
    Have any of you experienced the Yamaha MRX7-D. Using it in a project and need to control it . Yamaha has inadequate documentation on how the protocol works.

Yeah, it's one of those examples of the engineer, when asked what time it is, goes on to explain how to build a clock. It's a long cussed thing - these protocol manuals. It's also a fascinating sociological study to see how different people thing about things.

I remember talking on the phone with an engineer at a smaller company who designed the protocol and also wrote the manual. I had called because the one and only example of a rather long hex command didn't work when sent to the box. The example command was a simple "power on." I messed around with baud rate and every other physical thing you could imagine for several hours trying to get it to work.

Finally, I called to get some help. When I explained to him that I was just trying to get the example power command to work and move on from there, he seemed rather puzzled. He patiently explained to me that the example was merely a hypothetical "power on" command and not the real one. He couldn't understand why someone would want an "actual" power on command as an example.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    ericmedley wrote: »
    He couldn't understand why someone would want an "actual" power on command as an example.
    I'm confused on why he was puzzled, why would you not want a power on command... also why you would you post a hypothetical whats the point?
    I'm confused on why he was puzzled, why would you not want a power on command... also why you would you post a hypothetical whats the point?

I gave up on the notion of common sense a long time ago. I've found repeatedly that common sense is in the eye of the beholder. His reasoning was that a) it would do me no long-term good to just "know" the correct command structure. (the whole give a man a fish - teach him to fish argument) and b) "who's to say that the power command might not change some day - which would then be more confusing.

The bottom line is, and we as programmers suffer from the same malady, people perceive things differently and what makes perfect sense to one person is blithering nonsense to another. I think in my career, I've had to learn most often that my UI design makes perfect sense to me but some can be utterly confused by it. I've had to wrench my understanding quiet a bit to where my clients seem to "get" how it works without my prompting. But, to me I would not want the UI myself.

In my personal home system, I have two UXs. One for me and one for my family.

I'm sure in the mind of that engineer he was doing the best public good possible by not showing a working example. Never mind the fact that his actual documentation ended up being incorrect as well. (things like his checksum calculation was different - that's what ended up being the problem. Plus there were some typos)
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    I just find that so ridiculous, an API or protocol is supposed to be public so we can manipulate their commands and feedback to that particular system in whatever fashion. Having an incomplete hypothetical seems like nonsense to me, it would have taken less energy and less confusion just to omit it completely.
  • Wll this is what i get from Yamaha MTX-MRX software when i do export of the CVS file
    This is from my wiev in excel.

No.,FUNCTION,PARAMETER,Type,Cmp ID,MIN,MAX,MIN(str),MAX(str),DefaultMIN,DefaultMAX,DefaultMIN(str),DefaultMAX(str)

1,Parameter,Router_Out01:Patch,Router 24 Input 24 Output,30041,0,24,0,24,0,24,0,24

The respons from Yamaha support is "normaly there is n problem"
    Well in my opinion ther wold be som mouch more helpfull if they explaind the command in detali

exampel

First bit is for... and so on.
    Wll this is what i get from Yamaha MTX-MRX software when i do export of the CVS file
    This is from my wiev in excel.

No.,FUNCTION,PARAMETER,Type,Cmp ID,MIN,MAX,MIN(str),MAX(str),DefaultMIN,DefaultMAX,DefaultMIN(str),DefaultMAX(str)

1,Parameter,Router_Out01:Patch,Router 24 Input 24 Output,30041,0,24,0,24,0,24,0,24

The respons from Yamaha support is "normaly there is n problem"
    Well in my opinion ther wold be som mouch more helpfull if they explaind the command in detali

exampel

First bit is for... and so on.

I notice the manual also mentions other models that apparently use the same protocol. There is a module for the MXT3 which might work (at least a bit) In any case, you might be able to load that module up and use the serial port vs. the IP port and watch the communications the module is spitting out to give you a few examples. Or if you can only do IP, use Wire Shark to see what's going on. Usually, if you can just get one or two examples, you can figure the rest out.