Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

IP control for NEC E905 E Series displays?

I can see the RS-232 commands in the manual, but the manual is pretty dodgy about IP control. It just says you've got to set the IP address and use a dedicated application on your computer. Does anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Does it specify a port to use for control? Usually once a socket is opened it's no different than RS232 unless its http then it's open a socket, send, it closes, then repeat for each command but most TVs are like telnet open once.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Usually, this is where I download/install their software, make sure it's working, and then launch Wire Shark to watch the protocol in action. From there it's usually a quick "reverse engineering" job. And, as Vining said, it's quite often just the rs-232 protocol with a handshake to get the party started.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! It only says it uses port 80 and http:// transactions in the manual, but a couple things I found via Google make me think I can connect and send the RS232 commands over that port OK. Should know by the end of the day today, will let y'al know.
  • JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    You could also use nmap to see what ports are open.
  • I've never had such a quick and successful chat session in my life. I started the chat session then flipped back over to the support page to look at the number and call simultaneously. While I was waiting for the call to connect, I flipped back over to the chat window and the agent had already sent me the docs. Looks a bit like the Sony Brevia protocol, but with just a few different characters for things in the strings.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I've never had such a quick and successful chat session in my life. I started the chat session then flipped back over to the support page to look at the number and call simultaneously. While I was waiting for the call to connect, I flipped back over to the chat window and the agent had already sent me the docs. Looks a bit like the Sony Brevia protocol, but with just a few different characters for things in the strings.

How much $ does NEC charge you for tech support?