Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Continued Forum Jankiness.

So, the forum is still very frustrating to use. But, I have now found something that might be helpful in sussing out the problem. It doesn't matter what browser I use. It seems to happen on them all. It also doesn't seem to matter where I access the site from - home / office/ on site/ etc....

I find that the first and maybe second page loads zippy-fast with no issues. It's the second and beyond that become hopelessly slow. I wired sharked the thing and found that there is no response from the server after the second or third or beyond page request. the communication hangs at the AMX firewall. Perhaps they might want to migrate the forum to a third party server where they don't have the firewall issues.

I know there's been discussion about the future usefullness or lack thereof of the forum. I still find it very helpful and a nice thing to keep around. I do use the Facebook forum for us folks but that is more general and not AMX specific. So, there's a lot of white-noise I'm not that interested in.

Hopefully, this information is helpful to the folks who admni the forum.
e

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I've come to think of the responsiveness of the forum software as a metaphor for AMX at large.
    I do hope they don't take it down, despite it being really frustrating to try to search for something, there's a HELLA lotta from-the-street-smarts embedded here that should not be lost forever.
  • I email my AMX rep every time the forum gums up to the point of un-usability; it usually speeds up for a couple days after that, then slowly degrades again. I wish they felt this was a valuable resource for us, and gave it the attention it deserves for that. Ditto Nagy pointing out there's a ton of info embedded in this forum right now, it would be a shame to lose it.
  • I've found it stops dead at between 9 and 10 AM CST and takes up to ten minutes to load each page. I have the same trouble with the main amx.com site at that time as well.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I asked about the forum repair status in the quarterly VIP meeting today. The good news is that AMX is aware of the forum performance issue and they are working to solve it. The not so good news is they don't know what the problem is and have no date as to when it will be fixed but at least it's on their radar.

This forum was created over a dozen years ago and I think it was one of the best things that AMX has ever done. Suzanne Youngblood has been an awesome administrator and having feedback from AMX employees (and some incredibly knowledgeable forum members) has been invaluable. I do miss the spirited conversations and comradery.

One thing worth nothing that may help track down the problem - When I save a forum page to my computer and then reload that saved page into my browser, I will see the page content immediately but the page never actually stops loading. It just hangs and the browser status bar says:

Waiting for www.amxforums.com. . .

I'm not sure what it's waiting for or why it's still waiting at that point.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    I asked about the forum repair status in the quarterly VIP meeting today. The good news is that AMX is aware of the forum performance issue and they are working to solve it. The not so good news is they don't know what the problem is and have no date as to when it will be fixed but at least it's on their radar.

This forum was created over a dozen years ago and I think it was one of the best things that AMX has ever done. Suzanne Youngblood has been an awesome administrator and having feedback from AMX employees (and some incredibly knowledgeable forum members) has been invaluable. I do miss the spirited conversations and comradery.

One thing worth nothing that may help track down the problem - When I save a forum page to my computer and then reload that saved page into my browser, I will see the page content immediately but the page never actually stops loading. It just hangs and the browser status bar says:

Waiting for www.amxforums.com. . .

I'm not sure what it's waiting for or why it's still waiting at that point.

Even though you've saved the page, I bet if you look at the html - it's still linking to stuff in the underlying database and still heading out to the web to look for something. I was on the phone once with one of the network people at amx and he said he did notice something happening at the firewall. (Like some kind of traffic was getting held up - not the whole website, just some part of it. I'd bet is some kind of rule not covered when the forum looks back at the database; some sql call or something that is throwing a flag in the firewall.. But, that's just my guess.

To your comments on the forum: I concur! I've been on this forum for a loooooong time and still make it a part of my daily routine of being a long-time AMX-er. I don't know if it's a by-gone thing or not. But, I too remember the olden days of yore when there was lots of spirit discussion, talk about programming theory and more esoteric discussion about under-the-hood stuff. I still search it for helpful hints and try to be a regular contributor.

I had to miss the VIP meeting this go 'round as I was on -site in St. Louis. I would have loved to hear your discussion on the forum. Thanks for brining it up!
    E
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    This all reminds me of a joke...
    An engineer, a marketing guy, and curmudgeon walk into a forum.... and it's not there. And nobody else is either.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote: »
    This all reminds me of a joke...
    An engineer, a marketing guy, and curmudgeon walk into a forum.... and it's not there. And nobody else is either.
    I thought jokes were supposed to be funny? ;) The state of this forum and AMX is not funny what so ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Administrator Posts: 0
    Please see this link for information on the status of the maintenance of the forums

http://www.amxforums.com/forum/technical-forum/amx-website-forums/122575-forum-maintenence-and-upgrades
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Wow! This is working great! I've been pounding on it all day both as a guest and logged in. It seems to be working much much better. Thanks so much to everyone who worked to fix it. Hopefully, we can get some of the folks who jumped ship to come back over.