Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

ONKYO TX-NR636 control

Hi,

Need some help with a ONKYO TX-NR636.

We replaced the old TX-NR609 with the new 636, but we cannot control the unit over TCP/IP. The code worked fine with the older model and the local ONKYO supplier confirmed that the protocols have not changed.

I am connecting to the unit as I can see the strings coming in when I make changes on the device via the remote.

Does anybody know if the protocol has changed?

Thanks.

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Is.there.anyrhing in the setup to enable IP control?
  • Hi thanks for the reply.

Not that I can see. Only setting that I could find was one that said Network standby and I tried in the on and off position.
  • nicolaunicolau Posts: 40
    The protocol is the same but specially with NR-636 I had some bad experienceS controlling it over IP. From time to time it stopped working for me. Just like what is described here: http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=6456&sid=8a1f3bf0024a3d13348b25a4d0f06cfc
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    nicolau wrote: »
    The protocol is the same but specially with NR-636 I had some bad experienceS controlling it over IP. From time to time it stopped working for me. Just like what is described here: http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=6456&sid=8a1f3bf0024a3d13348b25a4d0f06cfc
    There was this in that link:
    The only similarities I have between the last couple installs with issues is that I am using a static IP address. I will be switching to a dhcp address with reservation soon when I go back to these sites. Not sure how much of a difference it will make, but after searching many other forums and speaking with other professionals this is the likely resolve.
    maybe if it's assigned a static ip it still wants to renew its lease even though being static it shouldn't and maybe that makes it hang, throws an exception and farts. Could be bad firmware that controls the IP socket so try it and see. Make sure your router or switch which ever is the dhcp server does supports dhcp reservations though.

• Network standby should be ON so the network stays alive when the unit is in standby mode. Make sure that the port numbers in the Onkyo and your program match. Also, Onkyo/Integra recently changed their volume control protocol for 1db steps to .5db steps. The last time I checked the comm modules haven't changed. You can modify your code to deal with the change if you don't use the module for volume feedback.
  • Thanks for all the help.

I have also noticed that if I send it commands (the same commands as with the NR609) the unit will freeze and I have to do a factory reset. I have tried static and DHCP address but no luck. I think that the problem lies with the unit. I have sent it in twice now to the local agents and it comes back that there is no problem with the amp, but when I asked them if the TCP/IP communication was tested as I asked, the answer was no every time. I don't think that they know how to test the communication on the amp and that they just test the unit for basic functions.