Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

DVX video signal detection

I read the instruction manual that there's a command ?VIDIN_STATUS that requests a signal status on the video input port. Is there a channel for detecting a video input signal, as that may ease the programming by having a channel event rather than sending out queries every few seconds.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I wouldn't bet my life on it.. but I don't think so. I quite often use the similar feature on the DXLink boxes/wall plates to offer an "automatic room power on" feature when a user plugs in their laptop in a presentation room. I watch for the video type command return and set up the room appropriately. Another thing to be careful of when using this feature is the input can sputter as it tries to negotiate with the device how it is configured. I've seen several "offline" and "online" events occur while the thing gets set up. It's a bit tricky, but once you figure it out, it works quite nicely.
  • davidgdavidg Posts: 16
    I'm working on a project now utilizing this feature for automation purposes. I originally was sending out ?VIDIN_STATUS polls but removed them after realizing that the DVX sends them unsolicited...no need for polling. I just have a data event looking for the VIDIN-STATUS- command. If find 'VALID SIGNAL' and input is a laptop, a new device has been plugged in. Any other response, it's been unplugged. Then I act accordingly.

Also implemented a laptop stack to track the order of laptops being plugged in so once one is disconnected, I go back to the previous one(s) if still plugged in. Any time a laptop loses sync, I remove it from the stack. If no laptops left in the stack, I go to a default source. Works pretty well for my purposes.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    They are unsolicited so its very easy to implement an auto detect feature like Eric mentiond. I did notice that on the new 100 series DGX though it does not give the same feedback including the vidin-status and also switch confirmations. I use that all the time to update what displays are on what input, requiring me to send the '?INPUT-VIDEO,X' for the output in question so that it would spit out the feedback for output, very annoying...
  • Great, thanks for the info. Will try it when another DVX comes.
  • NZRobNZRob Posts: 70
    Just a comment, I used this and had a queue and worked well until the DX-Transmitter was unplugged with a source connected. Unfortunately it was the device at the top of the order queue so nothing worked after. I recommend tracking the online/offline status of the DX-Transmitter as well. Simple code to implement but might save someone a headache later.