Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Axcent 3 error

I have an Axcent 3 that I use just for testing. I am unable to load any code to it. LEDs 1 and 4 blink then 2 and 3, then 1 and 4 again. Since it is consistent I figured it would mean something. If not, it goes in the trash!

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    TUTech wrote: »
    I have an Axcent 3 that I use just for testing. I am unable to load any code to it. LEDs 1 and 4 blink then 2 and 3, then 1 and 4 again. Since it is consistent I figured it would mean something. If not, it goes in the trash!

That would be my recommendation. Never mind the fact that it's probably over 15 years old and way past it's lifespan... The newer versions of Netlinx Studio don't even talk to it anymore and you'd have to run an older version just to code on it. If you're looking for a hobby, I'd recommend going on eBay and picking up an old NI-X000. You can find them for a few bucks and at least they still are a viable thing.

If you're just dying to use it, you can turn off the internal master via a dip switch and use the integrated controller devices via an axlink buss connection to a Netlinx master.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    ericmedley wrote: »

...you can turn off the internal master via a dip switch and use the integrated controller devices via an axlink buss connection to a Netlinx master.

Not by a dipswitch, you need to enter TERMINAL mode from the programming port, and set the the BASE ADDRESS to anything but 0. You can type HELP and it will tell you what your choices are. Then hook up the axlink and view the master in Studio to see the port numbers.
    John Nagy wrote: »

Not by a dipswitch, you need to enter TERMINAL mode from the programming port, and set the the BASE ADDRESS to anything but 0. You can type HELP and it will tell you what your choices are. Then hook up the axlink and view the master in Studio to see the port numbers.

Oh yes! Thanks John. It's been a loooooong while since I touched an Axcent 3. The last Axcent system I saw was actually earlier this year. It was a museum that had a few systems running displays. They were installed in 1999 and hadn't been touched by an integrator since. It was a card frame system with a ton of relay and voltage cards controlling the various servos and actuators running the displays. It still worked fine. The code was well written. They had to change out a projector due to the fact that (it too was very old) the bulbs were no longer being made for it.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    My home system uses a single NI3100 and FOUR Axcent3's as remote IO slaves in a 12 room system (lots of remote devices, several theaters, lighting relays, fireplaces, garage doors, etc.). Twice I've replaced the NI for serial failure. The Axcent3's are all over 18 years old and continue to meet my use without complaint.
    John Nagy wrote: »
    My home system uses a single NI3100 and FOUR Axcent3's as remote IO slaves in a 12 room system (lots of remote devices, several theaters, lighting relays, fireplaces, garage doors, etc.). Twice I've replaced the NI for serial failure. The Axcent3's are all over 18 years old and continue to meet my use without complaint.

My home system also uses an old Axcent Card Frame chock full of cards as well as a couple old Radia Lighting dimmers for my recording studio lights and my outdoor/Christmas lights. I run it from an NX-1200. It all works like a champ. That stuff was bullet-proof.
  • As I've replaced old Axcent controllers on my campus with newer NI/NX controllers, I've ended up re-deploying them as Axlink slaved RS-232 port expanders where I need them, as well. But at this point most devices have reliable IP control. Pretty unlikely I'll ever need 8 RS232ports in a single system ever again. I still use RS-232 for some Kramer and Extron switch control because their IP connections aren't stable enough; and for controlling Cisco SX80 codecs, mostly for the 'lazy' factor; I can turn off authentication on the RS232 port, and then I don't have to negotiate the authentication in controller code. If I ever need more than 8 RS232 ports in a system again, I'll use MOXA IP-RS232 boxes. Those things are simple, and solid as a rock.