Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

I try to connect to master

Hi folks!

I've bought a used NI-3100 and when I try to connect to or listen from Studio, I don't receive any response. Is there a way to "factory default" the controller or Something like that. It's not my first used controller and never had problem with that.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Comments

• If the firmware on it is an old one, listening on Studio will not work. You should try to connect to it using the program port using a serial cable. There you can reset IP configuration and connect over ethernet, knowing the correct IP.
  • I realize yesterday the "LISTEN" function doesn't work with any of my controllers. It's the first time I try to listen for a controller since I've installed WIN 10. Is there an issue with Win 10 ?
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Did you turn off the UPD broadcast?
    From telnet
    "set udp bc rate"
    It responds with the current rate (default 5 seconds) and asks for the new rate. If you enter 0, no broadcast, nothing to LISTEN for. You can enter up to 300 (seconds, 5 minutes) for the interval. I set the rate to 300, to reduce network chatter due to the broadcast, but not to eliminate it if a LISTEN is ever needed. Just remember you need to wait on the LISTEN screen for up to 5 minutes with that setting.
  • To run Telnet session you need to know IP of the controller no ? I don't connect to controller because I don't know IP
  • To John's point, if UDP broadcast is off - the programming port may be the only option. I would encourage you to try finding it a different way by placing the device on a local private network with just your laptop and the NI controller. Then, open wireshark and see if you can find the device IP by watching for the UDP beacon that should be broadcasting from a NI3100. Once the IP address is known, you can then drop your laptop into that IP range and you may be able to connect assuming the security is at default.
    To run Telnet session you need to know IP of the controller no ? I don't connect to controller because I don't know IP

Use TERMINAL in STUDIO just like TELNET. You can ask or set the ip from there. Using the program port... unless SECURITY was set for that port and you don't have the login... at which point you have a brick. Although AMX can revive it for a fee.
  • AMX_Chris wrote: »
    To John's point, if UDP broadcast is off - the programming port may be the only option. I would encourage you to try finding it a different way by placing the device on a local private network with just your laptop and the NI controller. Then, open wireshark and see if you can find the device IP by watching for the UDP beacon that should be broadcasting from a NI3100. Once the IP address is known, you can then drop your laptop into that IP range and you may be able to connect assuming the security is at default.

I installed Wireshark but don't know how to use it to find IP from controller. Help please...
  • If you were to isolate the controller and your laptop onto their own temporary network, it would reduce the amount of network chatter going on. You would then start a wireshark capture. In the resulting data, you would see the IP address of the UDP beacon broadcasting on port 1319 like the attached image. You can apply a display filter udp.port == 1319 and only observe the traffic you are seeking.
    I just confirmed that UPD LISTEN is working on STUDIO 4 and WIN 10, so that's not the problem.
    If it's on static IP on a different network than your computer, wireshark may see it as described above.
    If the beacon is OFF, there's nothing to see.

As mentioned above, you can/should try using the serial programming port, connect using TERMINAL in TOOLS in Studio. You'll need to type ECHO ON to see what you are typing, but you should get a prompt and responses just like in TELNET. And all the TELNET stuff works about the same in terminal. You can SET IP and such.

However, if SECURITY is turned on, and also on for the programming port, and you don't have the account login, you are so very done.
    I don't know of any way other than sending it to AMX to do a reflash to recover from that.
    Anyone?

We recommend setting the UDP BC RATE to the max, 300 seconds rather than 0 so LISTEN still works, even if you have to wait 5 minutes. The default of 5 seconds is more thrash than value.

And never lock out the programming port if your job does not insist on it for complete security. In most cases, if someone is close enough to have physical access to the serial port, they probably are not a threat.
  • The problem is I don't have any serial port nor in my laptop neither my desktop. According to you, is the IP from this capture is 65.242.94.196 or 65.242.94.207 ?

I tried both but never connect

Well GET A SERIAL ADAPTER for USB for your laptop. You have to have the tools or you can't do the work. They cost as little as $5. Be sure it says WINDOWS 10 compatible, Some aren't and won't say.

Your clip indicates it found the UDP broadcast from the NetLinx. Maybe. What's your PC's IP address? You might be looking at yourself, NLStudio pinging...
    But if these 65. addresses are not your local network addresses, you will NEED to set your PC to the 65.242.94.x network to talk to these addresses... likely the static address set in the NI.
  • Hi John, I bought a lot of serial adapter for USB from eBay or other web site but never had success with that. My laptop IP is 192.168.1.107

The range I can use in my router are :
    • 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
    I change my router IP to 65.242.94.1 and DHCP range from 65.242.94.100 to 65.242.94.200 and tried to connect or listen and failed again (boring)

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Hi John, I bought a lot of serial adapter for USB from eBay or other web site but never had success with that. My laptop IP is 192.168.1.107

The range I can use in my router are :
    • 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
    I change my router IP to 65.242.94.1 and DHCP range from 65.242.94.100 to 65.242.94.200 and tried to connect or listen and failed again (boring)
    forget the router, directly connect an ethernet cable to the master and change the IP on your laptop to a static address on the same subnet as the master's. try an address just one above or below the master's just in case who ever put the master on this weird subnet also used an a smaller net mask, not the typical 255.255.255.0 which would allow access from any address in the subnet, if the net mask is smaller there may be as little as 8 addresses that would work.

I used WHOIS to look up your reported IP addresses you spotted in WIRESHARK. 65.242.94.197 and 207 are EXTERNAL addresses owned by VERIZON and located in Purcellville, VA. You are seeing your modem talk to the head end, here. Unrelated to your NetLinx. So Vining's advice isn't going to work.

So those IP addresses are useless to talk to the NetLinx. It remains at an address you can ONLY FIND NOW by a terminal session using the SERIAL PROGRAMMING PORT as described in AMX training and support materials.
  • John Nagy wrote: »
    Well GET A SERIAL ADAPTER for USB for your laptop. You have to have the tools or you can't do the work. They cost as little as $5. Be sure it says WINDOWS 10 compatible, Some aren't and won't say.

On this note I've been able to keep my Prolific brand USB Serial adapters running in Windows 8.1 and 10 by rolling back to a driver from 2008 each time I want to use the device (a PITA but I haven't had a problem since discovering this). I've found that the drivers forced on us by the OS updates are causing errors in device manager that go away after forcing a change of driver.
    pdabrowski wrote: »

On this note I've been able to keep my Prolific brand USB Serial adapters running in Windows 8.1 and 10 by rolling back to a driver from 2008 each time I want to use the device (a PITA but I haven't had a problem since discovering this). I've found that the drivers forced on us by the OS updates are causing errors in device manager that go away after forcing a change of driver.

Less of a pain was tossing my non-compliant one and buying a WIN10 certified replacement for all of $6 on the Bay of E.
  • I finally bought a StarTech USB to Serial Adapter but still unable to connect to master. I've set the serial port COM3 baud rate to 38400, 8, N, 1. I've set the dip swith 1-5 = OFF and 6-7-8 = ON, I have rebooted the controller and when I try to connect via Studio (Refresh System Online Tree) after 15 seconds try, the connection failed. I've used a pin to pin standard serial cable, is that ok?

What is missing now?
    In the built in HELP in Studio, find and read the sections on Connecting to a Master Controller via Serial, and on Connecting via TERMINAL session (Serial or USB).

• I'm not sure about pinout. Do I need straight or crossover? It's not clear in documentation

I found CC-COM programming port cable with pins 2 and 3 swapped and pin 5 straight through. Is that one I need?

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'm not sure about pinout. Do I need straight or crossover? It's not clear in documentation

I found CC-COM programming port cable with pins 2 and 3 swapped and pin 5 straight through. Is that one I need?

Not sure of pinout: Like all rs232 troubleshooting. Try both.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I'm not sure about pinout. Do I need straight or crossover? It's not clear in documentation

Should be xover since it's computer to computer but dam if I don't remember for sure.
    I suggest 4 Ethernet/RJ45-to-DB9 adapters, male and female, flipped and straight, WELL MARKED, in every AV toolkit. Makes testing and identifying needs so easy... just clip on to a network cable, lather, rinse, repeat until it works. We use these in completed installations too. Much easier to find or make custom length CAT5 cables.

Of course it can't help with a bad port or mistaken baud (although with just bad baud, you would likely see some garble at least).

You also may actually have a dead NetLinx, of course...
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    John Nagy wrote: »
    You also may actually have a dead NetLinx, of course...
    Or one with a bad capacitor that knocked off the 232 board.

• I've bought a null modem cable from computer shop and try with a controller I have and I know IP. I can connect to with program port in this controller.

I think like mattl it's a capacitor problem.

Thanks all for helping.

Mike