Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Polycom Group 310?

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have any experience controlling the Polycom Group 310 codec via RS-232? If so, were you able to get it working with the Duet module that's posted on the AMX site? I'm trying to use the 'Polycom_RealPresence300_Comm_dr1_0_0.jar' and getting no communication whatsoever even after going through normal troubleshooting steps. I'm wondering whether this module works with the 310 at all...or only the 300. And, if not, is there even one out there that works with the 310...

Have used the module for the 500 series successfully in the past and I'm spinning my wheels wondering what the issue could be. Can't find any codec settings that would be problematic either.

Any insight or experience controlling this codec that you guys might have would be much appreciated!

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Not that particular unit. But, I did try and use the same module for some 500s and in both cases needed to switch over to IP. In both my cases, I firmly believe I had a technician onsite who didn't grasp the RS232 connection and was not the best troubleshooter. But, I do think we were having some kind of issue. have your tried IP?
  • zack.boydzack.boyd Posts: 94
    All the groupseries codecs have the same protocol. That 8-pin mini-din is a b**** - you sure you're good? Also, you've turned on serial and set correct baud rate in the settings of the codec? It's not on by default...
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Not that particular unit. But, I did try and use the same module for some 500s and in both cases needed to switch over to IP. In both my cases, I firmly believe I had a technician onsite who didn't grasp the RS232 connection and was not the best troubleshooter. But, I do think we were having some kind of issue. have your tried IP?

I've done a bunch of group series(300,310,500 and 700) all with the same protocol over serial. The techs ALWAYS mess up the 8-pin mini DIN. I've got a bunch in my bag for that reason.
  • davidgdavidg Posts: 16
    zack.boyd wrote: »

I've done a bunch of group series(300,310,500 and 700) all with the same protocol over serial.

Thanks Zach (and everyone)! So just to be clear, you used the Duet module for the 310? I'm sure at the end of the day it's going to end up being wiring but just want to be validated that someone out there has been successful with that module...
    davidg wrote: »

Thanks Zach (and everyone)! So just to be clear, you used the Duet module for the 310? I'm sure at the end of the day it's going to end up being wiring but just want to be validated that someone out there has been successful with that module...

In my case - no. Not that specific model.
    And, for the sake of discussion: there is a RealPresence 300 moudle on the AMX site.
    So just to be clear, you used the Duet module for the 310?

No Sir - the protocol is straightforward,though. You can find it in the integration reference manual on polycom's support website.(rpg_irm.pdf).
    ericmedley wrote: »

In my case - no. Not that specific model.
    And, for the sake of discussion: there is a RealPresence 300 moudle on the AMX site.

Yeah, that's the one I'm using. First time I've used this one though. I've had good luck with the 500 series module in the past (although I was also working with a 500 series codec). I'm considering, if the protocol is identical between the series', just trying out the 500 series module. Could be that the 300 series module has issues...

Thanks again guys! Much appreciated as always...
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    Ive personally used the Group series module (Polycom_RealPresence500_Comm_dr1_0_0) both 232, and IP on both the 300 and 500 codecs. No issue that would prevent communication. I would confirm that the serial port is enabled, perhaps turn off the login option for serial control. And of course confirm that pinout is correct.
    Status update: it was the 300 series module. I threw in the 500 series module instead and it worked like a charm. Probably something must have changed in firmware at some point and only the 500 series module was updated. So...lesson learned. Beware the 300 series module!
    Status update: it was the 300 series module. I threw in the 500 series module instead and it worked like a charm. Probably something must have changed in firmware at some point and only the 500 series module was updated. So...lesson learned. Beware the 300 series module!

Ha! You beat me to this by about a minute! I was just reading my notes on a project where I had a 500 module with a 300 box. sure enough, in my notes was a little line saying, "hmmm... couldn't get the 300 module to respond. tried the 500 and it works. Note: report this to AMX TS"

Sorry, I should have remembered that. My poor old memory is getting too full... :)