Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Amazon Fire TV - Control API?

Is anyone controlling an Amazon Fire TV via IP? I've been looking for a way to control the thing by other means than IR. I've browsed Amazon's Developer site for quite a bit. Lots and lots of resources for use of its internal parts and pieces but I haven't found an API for basic control. (Who'd wanna do that? I know right?)

Comments

• TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    Apparently it can be controlled over http by turing on ADB Debugging:

https://home-assistant.io/components/media_player.firetv/
    https://github.com/happyleavesaoc/python-firetv
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    Definitely following. I dont do much of any resi products anymore, but definitely interested for my home system.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    TonyAngelo wrote: »

Thanks, After reading through this I'm not sure I'd like to bet my code working on a mode that gets turned off after every firmware upgrade or hard reboot. Curses equipment manufacturers!!!
  • sling100sling100 Posts: 123
    As long as you have ADB turned on you can control it via IP. The key issue is that it goes to sleep and you cannot turn this 'feature' off. To wake it up send the 'initialise' command before anything else.

Initialise = "$43,$4E,$58,$4E,$00,$00,$00,$01,$00,$10,$00,$00,$07,$00,$00,$00,$32,$02,$00,$00,$BC,$B1,$A7,$B1,$68,$6F,$73,$74,$3A,$3A,$00"

Simon
    sling100 wrote: »
    As long as you have ADB turned on you can control it via IP. The key issue is that it goes to sleep and you cannot turn this 'feature' off. To wake it up send the 'initialise' command before anything else.

Initialise = "$43,$4E,$58,$4E,$00,$00,$00,$01,$00,$10,$00,$00,$07,$00,$00,$00,$32,$02,$00,$00,$BC,$B1,$A7,$B1,$68,$6F,$73,$74,$3A,$3A,$00"

Simon

Thanks. That's good info. I will say the integrator and client have decided that IP is just fine. The client has been using the hand held remote now for a while and likes it anyway. Even though IR is a bit janky, I have learned to never succumb to the siren song of putting off those 'occasional' times when control fails. we know they are easily fixed. The client, however, just know it didn't work when they wanted it to. In this case IR will stand a much better chance of working.
  • feddxfeddx Posts: 167
    ericmedley wrote: »

Thanks, After reading through this I'm not sure I'd like to bet my code working on a mode that gets turned off after every firmware upgrade or hard reboot. Curses equipment manufacturers!!!

If that's the case, what makes Amazon Fire different than any VTC endpoint made by Cisco?

I know I'm off topic, but man I'm done with redoing code because a client updates their VTC firmware.
    feddx wrote: »

If that's the case, what makes Amazon Fire different than any VTC endpoint made by Cisco?

I know I'm off topic, but man I'm done with redoing code because a client updates their VTC firmware.

Preach it brother! I don't know if you suffered from the SX80s updating firmware and breaking the SSL telnet comm from AMX. Like most times when the firmware was forced out, I started getting the calls that their s4!t don't work no more. But, unlike the other manufacturers, I actually couldn't fix it. I told the client to roll back. That was fun.