Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Website/Forums

Visual Architect vs. RPM forums on website?

Just a suggestion that Samsung/Harman/AMX might want to de-emphasize the Visual Architect sub-forum, and add an RPM forum.

Comments

• TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    You mean; AMX by Harmon via Samsung
  • HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Posts: 597
    I am checking internally to see if the suggested change can be made. The broader question of ownership responsibility for maintaining this site is the core issue and is being discussed. I think I know the answer, but would you prefer to keep the site up as a self-help resource AND never see an update to any part of the site, or just have it shut down if it will not be maintained?

Tony, it is more fun to start with SVSi by AMX by Harman, a Samsung Company. Coincidentally, an updated corporate logo was officially released today.
    HARMAN-logo.png
  • AMX_Chris wrote: »
    The broader question of ownership responsibility for maintaining this site is the core issue and is being discussed. I think I know the answer, but would you prefer to keep the site up as a self-help resource AND never see an update to any part of the site, or just have it shut down if it will not be maintained?

Chris, I'm confused. With 'site' do you mean the Visual Architect sub-forum or are you casually telling us that the entire AMX forum will likely shut down??

I think I know the answer, but would you prefer to keep the site up as a self-help resource AND never see an update to any part of the site, or just have it shut down if it will not be maintained?

If that's the question, I would want to answer it with another question: Why was there so recently an effort to bring this site back from the dead, to begin with? I suppose the new logo might well answer that question: things have changed, again; decisions about this site made just months ago are already irrelevant. The other obvious follow-up question I have: This website is powered by vBulletin, a reasonably common, standard forum software product. Is it really that hard to add another sub-forum for RPM? I can understand "de-emphasizing" an existing sub-forum might be troublesome somehow, but it's hard to imagine just adding another sub-forum for RPM under the technical forum takes more than a few mouse clicks and a few keystrokes. It boggles my mind to think it's going to take months of adults together in a meeting rooms, arguing about whether or not something as simple as adding another sub-forum can or should be done, but... regardless of how absurd it seems, we all experience that phenomenon anyway, don't we? I certainly do in my work environment. SMDH.
  • HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Posts: 597
    Richard, the act of adding or renaming a sub forum is minor and 100% should be done. The larger issue is organizational ownership of the site -- not anything that would be resolved here, but is something that must be solved internally.

Derek - No, there have not been days of meetings to discuss whether or not to rename a sub-forum, but many of us fail to realize the sheer number of online assets that require updating and maintenance under the new organizational structure. That isn't meant to be an excuse, but it is a reality. I am internally championing the effort to not only keep this site active, but to also place renewed life into it - get the sub forum structure aligned with the current product offering and drive engineering resources here to answer technical questions. I am a huge fan of this resource and try to be a daily visitor of the site.

Although lacking context, my question was not intended to alarm, but to simply garner the membership sentiment so that I can convey that to the key decision maker who is not a visitor to this site. My position is that I would rather see the resource stay alive, even if it meant zero updating from our digital marketing team, than to see it go away because there is no bandwidth to manage it. The target audience of this site is a group of power users seeking to resolve field issues in an online social environment that is open to discussion 24-hours a day, and this is too good of a current and historic resource to turn off.
  • nicolaunicolau Posts: 40
    This forum is essential to AMX installers and programmers.
    ...but many of us fail to realize the sheer number of online assets that require updating and maintenance under the new organizational structure.

I really appreciate the candor and detail of your response. I totally get the "...it is a reality" part, regardless of appearances or what anyone thinks it *should* be like. Please keep us posted on status of resolution to ownership issues as they unfold. Hopefully my query has increased the relative importance of getting those issues resolved. Thanks!

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Reality, like most things, flows downhill.
    The result of shutting us off here will be to .... shut us off, to end what we do.

"We know we cut off your food and water long ago, but it's come to our attention that you still have air. We're working on it."
  • One other point I'd like to make in regards to Chris' reference to AMX by Harman, a Samsung Company's digital marketing team: I'm hoping that's just a name for "all things digital." This forum has almost nothing to do with marketing, per se. If it's here, the sale has already been made. This is customer service. If there's anyone at AMX by Harman, a Samsung Company that doesn't understand how important customer service is to marketing, I would find that very alarming.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    John Nagy wrote: »
    The result of shutting us off here will be to .... shut us off, to end what we do.

"We know we cut off your food and water long ago, but it's come to our attention that you still have air. We're working on it."

Well said, John.

It would be an absolute tragedy to shut this place down. Catastrophic.

Thirteen years of history wiped out. Our most valuable resource destroyed.

The decision for AMX to turn their backs on residential has been difficult enough to deal with but if you take away the forum you might as well just rip out our hearts and dig our graves.

Samsung doesn't have enough pennies to keep this place alive? For the record, I couldn't care less about what the sub forums are called. Just keep this place open. Please.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Joe Hebert wrote: »

Well said, John.

It would be an absolute tragedy to shut this place down. Catastrophic.

Thirteen years of history wiped out. Our most valuable resource destroyed.

The decision for AMX to turn their backs on residential has been difficult enough to deal with but if you take away the forum you might as well just rip out our hearts and dig our graves.

Samsung doesn't have enough pennies to keep this place alive? For the record, I couldn't care less about what the sub forums are called. Just keep this place open. Please.

I agree whole-heartedly. I believe Chris when he implies that the forum isn't going anywhere. But, I also know that our general fears are not unfounded. I will go on public record here and offer to host the forum myself if AMX ever deems it necessary to shut it down. If they would agree to transfer the database, I will offer to host it. It's that important to me and, as I've said far too many times, a valuable resource to me.

edited to add: I also realize there are other more 'modern' forums out there such as Facebook, etc.... These arenas, however, are merely haunts for noobs who picked up an NI 3000 on ebay and want someone to program it for them so they can 'learn' how it works. They are just one notch above an annoying waste of time. This forum, at least, has done a pretty good job of keeping the ball within the 'professional' playing field.
  • zack.boydzack.boyd Posts: 94
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I also realize there are other more 'modern' forums out there such as Facebook, etc.... These arenas, however, are merely haunts for noobs who picked up an NI 3000 on ebay and want someone to program it for them so they can 'learn' how it works. They are just one notch above an annoying waste of time. This forum, at least, has done a pretty good job of keeping the ball within the 'professional' playing field.

Couldn't agree more
  • Re-upping thread because it's been over three months, and I'm curious if any headway has been made towards some kind of decision on this issue?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Maybe instead of moving/reorganizing the section (which will take some time) They could just rename it "RPM (fomerly VA)" I'm sure renaming a section is much much easier.
  • I don't post enough, however I'm on here all the time and wanted to throw my two cents in about how important it is for me.

My dealer is 9-5pm and this place has saved my backside a couple of times...

Can we just forget anyone said anything and keep the site?

Keep up the fight Chris.
  • Definitely keep the site open Chris! Why worry about the sub-forum name anyway. Nothing keeps anyone from posting RPM questions/answers/issues here. As an aside, I'm wearing my old Visual Architect t-shirt today. Still is great shape. More than I can say for VA.