Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

IR Edit and Windows 8.1

2»

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I succeeded in loading VMWARE PLAYER and created a new XP/32 virtual machine on my WIN10/64 laptop. Then installed IREDIT where it happily works.
    This was a far more tedious process than I imagined, complicated by a reluctant CD drive... or timing issues in the virtual space, maybe. Anyway, now have IREDIT usable after only about 18 hours of research and installation attempts, updates, and testing.

I chose VMWARE because of the neat UNITY mode, where you can pop an application out of the virtual desktop of XP and use it as if it were a native window in WIN10... almost like being sane.

VMWare Player is free... for individuals...
    There's a free tool (VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone) for virtualizing an existing system, complete with apps and all... but I skipped that for now as the sole reason I need XP is for IREDIT at the moment.

The installed footprint of the virtual XP image with the IREDIT app installed is a mere 5 gig. The player environment is under a gig too.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    Man sounds like a pain. Glad I only have to deal with ir once a year or so.
    Yeah. If I had known it would take so long I'd have just kept carrying two laptops (dual boot won't work with XP and new uefi boot systems...) but after awhile, the challenge became my white whale. And the result seems stable. I kept trying not to think about how this was AMX's fault, and how they don't seem to think it's something to fix.
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    This is the sole reason why I still maintain my 10 year old virtual XP instance in VirtualBox
  • KielLKielL Posts: 29
    I just booted my XP instance in VirtualBox to try the same thing, except it seems www.amx.com isn't coming up now (DNS problems?). Oh well, at least I got the Wcry security patch installed.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    It's almost like AMX isn't even trying to keep dealers happy and they just don't care. Boggles the mind!
  • pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    KielL wrote: »
    I just booted my XP instance in VirtualBox to try the same thing, except it seems www.amx.com isn't coming up now (DNS problems?). Oh well, at least I got the Wcry security patch installed.

Is that a link to the trade site or the client side. The trade site changed recently to http://trade.amx.com
  • KielLKielL Posts: 29
    www.amx.com goes to their landing page where you can click a link to go to their trade site. I tried going directly to their trade site first but it wasn't coming up. I just checked both again and they seem to be working fine. Could have been DNS on my end, but I seem to have problems connecting to their site (and only their site) quite a bit.
    Finally got a new laptop with Windows 10 so I am finally up to date now. Needed to modify IR of course shortly after and I knew the problems that this could cause. So I downloaded IR system files, in compatibility mode I set to xp sp3, and enabled administrator. Did the same with IRedit and it worked, so yay.
    Don't cheer too much, you are likely to find sudden crashes when you cut and paste rows or hex.
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Don't cheer too much, you are likely to find sudden crashes when you cut and paste rows or hex.
    I did see your post on that so I tried and no crash. Dont get me wrong I dont plan on exercising the software to see its limits, I used it to the bare miniumum
    It clearly works better on 32 bit vs 64 bit Win10. Better. Not right, but better.
  • MLaletas wrote: »
    Finally got a new laptop with Windows 10 so I am finally up to date now. Needed to modify IR of course shortly after and I knew the problems that this could cause. So I downloaded IR system files, in compatibility mode I set to xp sp3, and enabled administrator. Did the same with IRedit and it worked, so yay.

I just did this today because I needed to make an IR file for a Denon CD player. The installation worked as described above and the creation of the IR file (copy and pasting hex codes from ID) went normally.

I have a 64-bit machine.
  • Got a new Laptop, Windows 11... Tried to install IREDit as Administrator and in Mode XP SP2. No success.

But it got installed with the following procedure:

Windows 8.1 and higher doesn't support .NET 1.1 framework, which is required for IREdit.

Instead of using the IREditSystemFiles Setup (which will install, but will not be detected by IREditSetup later..), you have to install .NET 1.1 manually.

The procedure I got IREdit installed, is based on this guide:
    https://techjourney.net/install-microsoft-net-framework-1-1-on-windows-10-8-7-vista-fix-regsvcs-exe-error/

• Open the page in a browser
    • Follow Steps 1..6 to create a subfolder and download the required files.
    • in cmd shell, copy/type (w/o the < >): <dotnetfx.exe /c:"msiexec.exe /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\DotNet">, follow installer instructions.
    • in cmd shell (w/o the < >): <dotnetfxsp1.exe /Xp:C:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp>
      -> This I did not get executed in my setup. But I got IREdit installed anyway, ignoring this step

• execute netfx.msi, let it run.

After this procedure, IREditSetup.exe could be launched and will install IREdit.

-> and it's not only installing, it also works :-)

• Seems the .NET files are take down by MS....
    I have uploaded an archive with the required files in this thread on October 12, 2022:
    https://proforums.harman.com/amx/discussion/138626/iredit-installation-problems

Thanks Marc, quite the project to get it done.
    I suggest you or someone improve your instructions and remove the reliance on the link to the steps listed at the Techjourney web site... which might change or move or otherwise 404 just when someone needs it. I'd write it but I don't have a W11 machine to test the steps.

• Marc ScheibeinMarc Scheibein Posts: 798
    edited October 2022

The archive contains also a word document with the stuff from the website. The files linked to the Microsoft website are contained and already renamed in the archive. So you just have to create the folder c:\DotNet they refer, and follow the additional steps for the cmd shell. :)

I added this in the thread I posted the link earlier.