Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Work as an AMX Programmer

Where do you find work as an independent AMX Programmer?

I took the Programmer 1 and Programmer 2 classroom classes and submitted my Practical Exam and I programmed my three classrooms here.

I have a regular full time job as an Audio Video Manager. I'm looking for some occasional projects on my own time to get some more experience and maybe a little cash.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I would highly recommend looking for a position with an established AV Integration company before going independent. You would do well to go through the process of doing some live projects first.
  • Options
    TUTechTUTech Posts: 70
    Integrators want to hire someone full time to program AMX and C-tron.
  • Options
    Most in this space perform this service full time. You are looking to fill off hour bandwidth with side projects. As you know, this distinction will be self-limiting. However, all of the standard "new business start-up" tools are out there:
    1) Networking on programmer forums like this and facebook -- in fact, within the AMX and Crestr0n Programmer FB group this week, there was a request for AMX assistance.
    2) Communicating your ability and availability to local integrators who DO NOT sell and service AMX - you may be able to be the go-to for when the occasional service request comes in and they can partner with you.
    3) Communicating your ability and availability to local integrators who DO sell and service AMX - you may be a partner for bandwidth relief
    4) Communicating your ability and availability to AV Managers of known end user customers in your area who may have
    5) Build a website to communicate your service offering to add credibility and legitimacy to your "business"
    6) Start publishing content in professional circles like online trade magazines, LinkedIn, Facebook groups to demonstrate your skill level and subject matter expertise to build an audience of potential customers.
  • Options
    TUTechTUTech Posts: 70
    Thanks Chris. I was an Installer and a Systems Engineer for a local integrator for 10 years. I still keep in touch with most of the people I worked with, who work for different integrators now. I attend the AMX conference every year in Philadelphia. I didn't think about the Facebook option.
    I talked to you a couple months ago by email. I used to work with Abdul.
    Funny thing, I found a project to program a system for a Polycom. It's in Africa! We'll see what happens.
    David
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    TUTech wrote: »
    Thanks Chris. I was an Installer and a Systems Engineer for a local integrator for 10 years. I still keep in touch with most of the people I worked with, who work for different integrators now. I attend the AMX conference every year in Philadelphia. I didn't think about the Facebook option.
    I talked to you a couple months ago by email. I used to work with Abdul.
    Funny thing, I found a project to program a system for a Polycom. It's in Africa! We'll see what happens.
    David

Here's some friendly advice on taking international gigs. Be very careful. There are multiple tax issues to deal with (both in the US and outside) I do international work and do travel to those sites. Navigating the tax issues can be tricky and even cause you to end up spending some scary time in customs if you're not careful.