Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules
Options

Module for Epson PowerLite 2265

Is there a module or has someone written a module for Epson PowerLite 2265U Projector? I have to swap out a project at work and I would rather just change the module and not have to rewrite everything.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You can look on the tech site and see. Also, you might try one of the other one's just to see if the protocol happens to be the same.

Also, most projectors are pretty easy to control. Might be just as easy to roll your own.
  • Options
    TUTechTUTech Posts: 70
    They don't have one for the 2265. There are about 20 other PowerLite modules. I didn't want to have to open all of them to see which one is most compatible.
  • Options
    TUTech wrote: »
    They don't have one for the 2265. There are about 20 other PowerLite modules. I didn't want to have to open all of them to see which one is most compatible.

Well, I suppose you must then weigh how long it takes you to roll your own vs. the time it would take to unpack a few and give them a try. If you're controlling via rs232, I'd just roll my own. If it was IP, I might give a couple modules a try.
  • Options
    Unless you're doing something really squirrelly, the only difference in the API between the models, is which input ports, and resolutions, are available on the projector. The basic functions, like power on, off, blackscreen, status queries, are all the same. They haven't really change legacy port addressing, they've just added new port addresses for new signal formats (actually I think they've maybe recycled old composite port addressing for a new format now). I deal with hundreds of Epsons, and use my own code and API libraries, there is almost no difference between the API on any 19xx or 22xx projector.
  • Options
    Thank you Fogled for the Helpful information.
  • Options
    It looks like the PowerLite 5520W or the 1940W is the same. The 5520W is newer. I'll try it.
  • Options
    Yeah I think the only difference is that the older one has 2 VGA and 1 HDMI, and the newer one has 1 VGA and 2 HDMI (FINALLY!). As long as you don't need to address the 2nd ports, the same Source XX command should work OK. The newer projector also has more resolutions available, but unless you're forcing specific resolutions with code, you should be OK there as well.
  • Options
    Yeah I think the only difference is that the older one has 2 VGA and 1 HDMI, and the newer one has 1 VGA and 2 HDMI (FINALLY!). As long as you don't need to address the 2nd ports, the same Source XX command should work OK. The newer projector also has more resolutions available, but unless you're forcing specific resolutions with code, you should be OK there as well.

The other ting to check if you are controlling it by IP is (I think) Some of the newer models do sport the "Eco" mode where the unit powers down the essential control ports (IP and rs232) unless you turn the Eco mode off. When I'm stuck with these things, I always send the Eco Mode Off command after any power on/ source change or prior to power off commands. Even there, if the site has a substantial loss of power for a good length of time, the dumb thigns seem to go back to that setting. In that case the client has to power on the projector manually once and then the control system, when used re-sends the Eco MOde Off.

Also, some of them do actually respond to a Wake On LAN message. I usually build that into my modules as well. I think LGs and Sharps do respond to them. Just some general info that seems to come up a lot with display devices.
  • Options
    For Epsons, it's the "Communications" setting (ON/OFF) that controls power-off IP communications. I've never known the Eco mode to affect communications on them, but I've never explicitly tested it, and I'm pretty sure we never put our projectors into Eco mode, either, so I don't really know. But, they come default Communications Off, you've got to turn that setting on to get control working correctly for IP. Using IP control is highly recommended for Epsons; once you've negotiated the session, their IP connections are really stable, and the IP protocol proactively sends out threshold events, called IMEvents, that RS-232 doesn't. You basically never have to ask the projector for anything, it always tells you what's going on, as soon as it happens.