Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Lansweeper

afternoon everyone

Anyone had equipment on a network and had problems caused by the IT dept running Lansweeper?

Comments

• I know our IT dept, is running tools like Lansweeper and other security vulnerability products, because half the control systems in one building will crash overnight, then another building the next day, etc. But yeah having equipment probed by vulnerability software crashes stuff like controllers, touchpanels, DSP's, etc.

• confirms what I thought. Thank you!

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177

I have changed my policy now to keeping all AV gear off client networks at all times. There's just too many times I have to spend ridiculous amounts of time explaining to angry GCs and IT people why AV gear does this and that and why it's bringing down their networks and so forth. If I am in an environment where they don't like other people's networks in the same space - I don't call it an IP network. It's a AV Communication Network. If I need to connect to the client to allow control, I put in a router and poke holes for that. Since it's not typically on the internet, security is much more of a known entity and poking holes in the firewall is much less dangerous.

• We've got well over a thousand devices spread across four private IP VLANS that the networking team doesn't poke around on much. Some devices on the biggest one, about 900 devices on a /22 subnet, have trouble staying online, but doesn't seem associated with any scanning. That issue looks more like broadcast packet swamping. But we still have a couple hundred devices on the public IP LANs, and those systems obviously suffer from internal scanning ops, and other possible external hacking mischief.

But as difficult as it is for me to do my job bringing up systems before the network gets brought up in new buildings, I can't imagine staying sane if every single one of my systems was on an isolated network.