Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Faulty MST-1001

I've just acquired an MST-1001 touchscreen, but it is slightly unresponsive and an area of the screen doesn't respond at all. I figured it might have been something come loose inside, but I can't see anything obvious. Has anyone got any ideas what to look out for?

Comments

• 'slightly unresponsive' might be a feature, not a bug for a MST-1001. According to some co-workers of mine, they should come with a touchhammer in the box... :| . I assume you already went through callibration, the touch overlay is the thing to check.

• I can't get to some parts of the menu because it is not responding in part of that area (which includes the lower part of the keypad for entering the lock code).

• Push the (very small) button on the top left edge and keep holding it until the calibrate menu appears, then release it.

• It does nothing. I've actually got it disconnected so I just shorted out the two pins...which does nothing. It looks like the button itself is broken. If I do connect it, it appears to lock up the panel.
    I also can't get into any of the locked menus as I the keypad buttons 3 6 and 9 do not respond (and that general area of the screen). 8 sometimes works (I'm assuming the lock code is 1988...I haven't actually looked it up yet).
    I've found a reset button, inside the screen, which, well, resets the screen (like a power cycle). Pressing and holding does nothing different.

• Sorry...made a mistake - it is an MXT-1000.

• richardhermanrichardherman Posts: 387
    edited June 2019

Ah, that's a G4 capacitive touch, it doesn't have a calibrate option.
    I have a MXT-700 that I use for testing. A couple of years ago the right 1/3 of the screen didn't respond to anything, had to be repaired by AMX. Don't know if it is currently still possible to get a RMA for that panel.

You could attach a USB keyboard to it (2 USB connectors on the back) to see if if it works; if it does, the touch part is defective.
    You could also try with the ^VKS command (Virtual Key Stroke) from 'Control a device' in NS, although I don't know how to send the keypad 'OK', never had much luck with that.

EDIT: If the button is stuck in the 'on' position, that would seem to lock up the panel, I've seen that in older panels, like the NXD-1200, with the large button on the front.

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

It seems the MX series capacitive panels are dying en-mass lately. We've retired nearly half of the ones we installed already for exactly this issue.... partial unresponsive areas, or continuous triggering of areas. In a VERY FEW instances, diligent cleaning of the surface seemed to help a bit.

• OK, thank you. I'll give those suggestions a try.
    If they're all going that way, it makes me glad I never paid anything for it. I didn't actually need it - I just got it to play around with (I actually found it at the office and I was told it was no longer required, so I nabbed it).

• HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Posts: 597

If the touch overlay has failed, VNC should still work on the panel as one way of still using the device.

The fails we've seen generally progress from a dead area to uncontrolled "pushes" on random or specific screen areas, rendering it useless as well as crippling the control system with floods of button pushes.

• I managed to get the calibration test up on the screen and just sat back and watched the crosshairs move about the screen.

• @geraldholdsworth said:
    I managed to get the calibration test up on the screen and just sat back and watched the crosshairs move about the screen.

Calibration test on a MXT-1000? How did you manage that? Don't think there is such a thing on a MXT capactive touch panel. On my own MXT-700 I can't find it.

• @richardherman said:
    Calibration test on a MXT-1000? How did you manage that? Don't think there is such a thing on a MXT capactive touch panel. On my own MXT-700 I can't find it.

From memory (as the device is no longer with me), I got to it through the Display sub-menu...if you can get your touches to register!

• @geraldholdsworth said:

@richardherman said:

From memory (as the device is no longer with me), I got to it through the Display sub-menu...if you can get your touches to register!

Ah, I misunderstood what you wrote. You wrote 'calibration test' where I read 'calibration', without 'test'... You can't actually calibrate this panel.

But, anyway, you gave up on the panel? Or did you decide to get it repaired?

• @richardherman said:
    But, anyway, you gave up on the panel? Or did you decide to get it repaired?

I was planning on using it at a client's site to show lamp life of all their projectors in one nice easy screen, along with some other status info from the Master program. No buttons or anything involved, so it will just be a screen, not an interactive screen.

I'm unlikely to get it repaired - I could probably pick up a working, second hand, one for less than the cost of repair.

edited November 2019

Just an update, now well over half of the MX-G4 capacitive panels we or our dealers deployed to customers or showrooms have failed. Most randomly (and quickly) press their own buttons, while some have a dead area on the screen. This includes all sizes from the 4" up through the panorama units. A sad fate for such expensive, appealing panels.

• KenKen Posts: 19

I've seen situations where people chose to plug a mouse into a panel and leave it broken.

• I have plugged in a keyboard and mouse for this screen. But, I had to unplug one of the ribbon cables from the screen inside because it kept 'detecting' touches (and moving the mouse pointer around erratically).
    I also can't upload anything on to it - but I think this may have something to do with the power rating of the PSU I'm using.

Low power can CAUSE your erratic behavior on touches!

• Hmmm...Interesting.

I read about failure to upload was due to low power. So, I checked out the specs and what I'm using - the specs say max usage is 8W, and I'm using a 48v @ 0.35A which equates to just over 16W (and these are brand new power injectors and supplies). So I should have enough power available.

edited November 2019

Should be. But try a bigger supply on the troubled panel before you give up. I have a 7" here on my desk that had been freaking out and passing button pushes of it's own choice for months while on a 48v 0.35A supply, and it (so far) is happy on the AMX 55v 0.6A supply used with the 9000i panels. It may flake out again, I'll leave it run for a couple weeks on the calibration test page before I call it. Note that I've seen this before, and the "cure" occasionally held. In most cases, the random pushes start again when the panel has warmed up for an hour or so.

Followup - 24 hours now on the larger power supply, this particular 7" X panel is still stable. I'll give it a few more days, and if it still is happy, I'll put it back on the smaller supply, and see if the random pushes resume. I'll let you know...

Two more days on the larger supply, still just fine. Switching to the little one now, will update after a few days.

• Are both supplies using the same standard? or is one 802.3af (poe) and is the larger one 802.3at(poe+)? IIRC AMX only delivered POE+ (at) injectors
    In at least some network switches the POE+ mode has to be activated, out of the box it's on POE. On HP switches it's called 'high power mode'.
    POE should be sufficient for the panel, although I've never used any with that, always used POE+ switches.
    Would be nice to know if the use of either standard makes a difference here.

I can confirm that the larger supply is indeed 55v output, the small one is 48v rated. And the problem went away when moved to the 55 volt supply.... as I had seen on a few panels. Interestingly, the panel has now been back on the small supply for several days and is operating normally on it as well. I have no explanation. I will, however, not chance putting this panel at a customer site...

A week later, still working on the small supply. Your mileage may vary.

• Based on this info, I have now ordered a 55v PoE injector. So I've now got my fingers crossed - if it works, should make my job at this clients' site much easier.

edited April 2020

Anyone find a solution for the ghosting (self-initiated random button presses) on MS panels? I've got a growing stack of them now that we've taken back from customers, edging upward to most that we've ever installed and more turning up every few months. As discussed above, in some cases a larger power supply helped, but it turns out not for long. Once that stops helping, the panels tend to work fine for a day if they've been off power a while, then they go nuts.

I'd like an AMX opinion as to whether these are scrap or if there is a potential fix.