Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Controlling DXLINK-HDMI-RX DGX8 over HTTP POST

Hi Everyone,

I know this probably isn't kosher but I am refreshing a room with cisco hardware and unfortunately the displays don't have a sleep function so I am resorting to control power on/off via RS232 as it was before.

Everything works as intended but it appears as if the web application needs to be woken after some time prior to accepting commands.

Below is what I'm sending the DGX, any thoughts on waking the web interface so I can ensure the commands are received?

https://DGXIP/web/devices/control.xml?systemNumber=1&deviceNumber=6013&portNumber=1&method=control&channel=&level=&levelValue=&command=&string="'POWR1 ',$0D"&from=system-controlEmulate&action=sendString

Comments

• richardhermanrichardherman Posts: 387
    edited July 2019

Maybe I just don't understand what you are trying to do, but why are you using the webinterface for the build in NI controller instead of using the controller itself?

Confused... :o

edit: read the title, noticed the DXLink...

• wtafewtafe Posts: 4

RS232s are coming from the displays connected to DXLINK-HDMI-RX. Trying to adapt to Cisco's way of control rather than having the DGX poll the VC unit for status changes.

Thank you for your assistance.

• richardhermanrichardherman Posts: 387
    edited July 2019

Well, question remains: Why aren't you using the controller to run a Netlinx program to control the displays? Don't know what polling has to do with that. What kind of user interface are you using?

Just curious :)

I read the post title after I replied, realized the RS232 connection, and edited my first reply ...

All Cisco Touch10 for the interface. powering TVs based on sleep/wake of the codec.

I'll look at the HTTP API if any documentation exists, do you know if there's a way to get feedback back via HTTP?

• If there is an HTTP API, I've never heard of it. It's not meant to be used that way, that part of the web interface was mimicking some testing/debugging functions from the AMX IDE (NetLinx Studio). Those functions have been removed from the web interface in the current series controllers. As far as I know it was only there for interactive use, and you are using a 'trick' to make it do something it was not meant to do. Can't imagine there are a lot of people with experience doing it that way...

I'll assume you're not an AMX programmer or familiar with the way AMX control systems work? If you want to use the ports on the DXlink, you run a program in the controller, in your case the DGX, programmed in NetLinx. In that case you have full control over what you are sending and the feedback you receive.

Again, you might be doing something smart that I just don't understand, but it all sounds a bit 'weird' to me :)

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177

It sounds to me as if you are not using the built-in NX controller in the DGX. I don't know your exact situation but let me assume we are starting from scratch and you no nothing about AMX. If that is not ture just skip ahead a bit.

The NX processor built into the DBX is a controller built upon a framework that allows you to program a control system from scratch. The controller has the ability to send/recieve various control methods such as IR, rs232, IO contact cloure, most raw IP communication.

You then write code for this to manage that communication. The base language is called Netlinx.

rs232 is a very good way to control a TV and I would highly recommend it as it doesn't involve the whole overhead of managing an IP connection. But, IP works just fine as well.

In the Netlinx environment the rs232 port on the DX RX located at the TV is a 'device' and one sends and receives rs232 strings based upon events in the programming. a command might look like send_string dvTV1,'PWR01' for example.

Now - how this works with using a Cisco Touch 10 system. It is common to use a Cisco Touch 10 controlled room in conjunction with an AMX system where the Cisco is essentially the room controller and it's reaching out to the AMX system to do tasks like turn the tvs on and off. How you do this is to also program the AMX system to watch the Cisco and respond accordingly.

One way that I typically do this is to use the Cisco SX80 Duet Module which allows for the full control of the Cisco Touch 10 (same protocol) But, I don't really control anything from the AMX side. I just watch it's Standby' status. When the Cisco powers up, I turn on the TVs and make sure they're on the correct inputs and so forth. THen when the Cisco goes back into stand-by (power off) I turn the TVs back off.

In the Cisco you also have the ability to create custom buttons on the UI. These too can be used on the AMX side to perform specific tasks. In one case the Cisco has a Window Shades button. That button triggers the AMX controller and opens or closes the shades.

If you have gotten this ar, and have not done this - this is how I'd approach what you're dong. To be hones, the DGX is going to allow you to write much more robust and complicated programming if that's how you want to go. Using a DGX to act as a Global Cache rs232 port is a bit like hauling hay in a Rolls Royce.

edited July 2019

ericmedly, I agree with your statement but I'm just using/adapting what I had available without incurring extra cost.

I found that performing a GET request against http://DGXIP/web/devices/system-onlineTree.xml appears to fire up the http control and I can then perform my commands.

I also use it for video over cat6 transmission and duplicating signal so it's not all just hay.

Thank you for all your help.

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177

Using the already present Netlinx Controller in the DGX would not add any cost. you/They already bought it. You could write some code to create something simple like a telnet session or a quick JSON port on the DBX to do whatevery you want it to do. The native Netlinx controller coould read and monitor the HDMI port and let you know whatever you want whenever you want.

Best of luck.
    e